Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I bought a new Aspire ES 774 which has started behaving

Customer Question

I bought a new Aspire ES 774 which has started behaving strangely since I tried to transfer items from an old laptop.
Can I return the Acer to its factory state without making a backup or anything complicated ?
Alec Smith.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Yes you can return the Acer back to its factory state.....but this can be a complicated process....unlesss your Acer has a Recovery partition.

IM going to check your make and model specifications.......to see if yoru model came with a recovery partition.

One moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still together, Alex ?

sorry...for the delay..... having technical issues......having some internet connectivity issues on my research computer.

Okay....So...Acer kind of sucks.

The only EASY way to do a Factory Default Reset is to have ALREADY (before ever using the computer for anythign) burned a disc that has the factory settings.

Basically, as soon as you get the computer home, you need to burn the factory image.

If you start using the computer BEFORE doing this....then the factory settings have been changed......and you can no longer make this copy.

So...you are stuck with doing it the LONG way.

I mean if you truly want a factory default computer again......its going to be a fairly long process.

.

I suggest you just remove the problem files/software that you transferred over.

That should fix the issue.

Or you can reinstall windows, but that requires that you have the Windows install disc.

Which you probably dont have, because windows came WITH the computer.....and thus they dont bothe rgivign you a copy.

.

A Factory Reset, is not an easyt proces unless you do some PREparing first.

.

See the image link below i pulled fomr the Acer guide.

Notice the part about having to ALREADY have created the factory default disc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you burn a disc from the laptop before using it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would it cost to let you delete all the faulty bits?
It would be another laptop of course. Not this one.

Well, they mean before you start adding files, and adding software.......they mean burn a disc FIRST before DOING ANYTHING ELSE to the computer.

Well, first have to know what YOUR interpretation is of "behaving strangely" actually is.

we dont give out quotes for work being done here.....but.....if I have to connect to your ocmputer in a remote session......that will be an additional charge ($25)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just clicked to go to Control Centre, and every time it comes back to the Desktop. Only just started doing this, actually. otherwise, some programs are there, but won't open up.

Okay.....and your using Windows 10....yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
W7 updated to W10 on the source laptop, and W10 with updates on the new one. 445GB on c disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, I'm 92 years old and a bit fed up with these troubles. We'd better call it a day I think.

Okay.....not a problem......we can certainly finish this up tomoro.

I would like to connect to your ocmputer and see if i can find any issues tomorrow.