Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I have a Canon MG6150 printer, and for some time I have had

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Canon MG6150 printer, and for some time I have had the message that the ink absorbers are full. I've not be able to sort out the problem myself, and now the error message 5B00 has appeared and I can do nothing. Advice is available on the net, but I don't seem to be able to do what is suggested to correct the problem. Do you have any advice please? Siobhan
Assistant: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No, this is the first time, but the ink absorber message has been appearing for some months, so I knew it was only a matter of time. I guess the printer is at least 4 years old.
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac with Sierra
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The printer has been printing OK, with the occasional need to acknowledge with "OK" that the ink absorbers are full, and then yesterday, I got the error message, and I can't do anything. If I switch off-on, the message continues to appear and the ink cartridges are blocked over to the right-hand side of the traveller
Assistant: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so What do I get for my £18?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am John, welcome to JustAnswer.com

Please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure the printer is turned off.
  2. Press and hold the Resume button (triangle inside a circle).
  3. Whilst it is held down, hold down the Power button. The green led light should come on.
  4. Keep the Power button held down. Release the Resume button and then press it twice. The light should go amber, then green again.
  5. Release the Power button.
  6. Press the Resume button four times and then press the Power button straight after to confirm the selected action (Reset Counter Absorber).
  7. Turn off the printer and then turn it on again

Please do not forget to rate me. I get paid by JustAnswer.com only if I get a positive feedback. You won't be charged again. Also, let me know if you need more help, clicking REPLY.

JOHN

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello John, unfortunately this isn't working. Firstly, the resume button is on a touch screen which does not light-up unless the printer is working properly, so it's difficult to locate, but in the right light I can just see it when the printer is off. But whether or not it is responsive when the computer is switched off, I don't know.Which LED light do you mean? I have a blue one, which is in the centre just below the menu buttons, and an amber one next to the wi-fi logo and highlighted with an electricity symbol. Both flash when the error message 5B00 appears. So which one should turn green? I get to step 3, the blue LED comes on, I go to step 4, and remove my finger from the resume button, press twice, but no amber LED appears, only the blue LED remains lit. I release the power button (step 5), and the printer just comes on as normal (with the error message), and whilst this is happening I press the resume button 4 times, then the power button, which just switches the printer off. I turn it on again, but the same error message appears.I have now done this at least 6 times, with no change. Am I missing something?I look forward to hearing from you, Siobhan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello John, I'm being asked to rate you, but I don't want to do that until I have a reply to my follow-up question, as the matter is not yet resolved. Your rating will obviously depend on whether or not I've been able to sort out the problem, so it would be good to hear from you. Many thanks, Siobhan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I missing something here? You asked me to contact you if I needed any more help. I needed more help on this problem, and so I contacted you, but no further word from you. So is that all I get for my £18? If I don't have a reply from you within 24 hours, I shall have no choice but to rate accordingly. Disappointing, when I had such high hopes of finding a solution that would work.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thank you for your reply.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

I can see that you rated our session as 2 stars which is a negative impact on my feedback score. I can understand that you are frustrated with your printer and that you have to buy a new one but please understand the rating system is designed for our interaction and not the product.

If you can take a minute and use the star rating to change your rating to a positive rating so that I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The rating reflects the ineffective response of your colleague, John, and his further lack of response. I wonder whether he had even taken the time to study my printer model or if he just wrote out a "one-size-fits-all" reply. It's got nothing to do with the fact that I have to buy a new printer, that is rather a presumption on your part. What he told me was inaccurate, just replying with information that was wrong isn't a reason for a higher rating, I was paying for what I thought was expert advice, and I don't think I received it, hence 2 stars. If I had been given your answer from the start the rating would have been higher, and it's only because I finally got your response that the rating wasn't lower. Maybe you need to speak to John and update him on this problem with this particular printer model so that future customers receive better replies. If you, and not John, will be credited if I give a higher rating, then I might consider improving it.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

The rating is for myself and not John. Since John opted out of the question, the rating that is available is for our session together; not for his efforts.

Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert for over 10 years