Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Quark 2015 v.11.1. When I open files created last

Customer Question

I have Quark 2015 v.11.1. When I open files created last week all text has disappeared and text boxes show symbol for not enough space to contain the text. I opened previous files going back four years and the same has happened. Why?
Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Acer laptop connected to a large monitor
Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, none have been offered
Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The font is an Adobe Gill Sans which I have used for ages
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell m the version of windows you are using?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Windows 10
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Please hold the windows key next to ALT and wit it held press R

Then type in

%appdata%

press enter

Click on appdata at the top

Then click on Local

Then delete the Quark folder

Then restart and try Quark

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
Richard, I deleted the Quark folder in AppData and then rebooted. Quark appears to have rebuilt its preferences, but opening the file that showed the problem still produces the same error message. I didn't give you this before but it is::
"Specific layout settings or different font versions may cause this text to reflow. [19]"
I've also noticed that, in MSWord, trying to change a paragraph of text to some of the fonts used in the Quark file, e.g. Palermo and Gill Sans Light, Word does not display the text in those fonts... the text appears in what looks like Ariel with the characters improperly organised.
I noticed that the language settings for Word were "US", so I let the system download UK English and install that, and then rebooted again but the problem still exists.
It seems like a font problem that Word handles more elegantly than Quark.
Many thanks for help so far.
Pauline
Customer: replied 2 hours ago.
Richard, PS: Something else I've noticed. In QX if you expand the font chooser every font has a symbol next to it. They are TT, A, green O and red O. I believe these respectively stand for Truetype, Adobe postscript, Open type (though I don't know Open type fonts have green and red Os). All the fonts work correctly except those labelled A (Adobe). Does this help?
Pauline