Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Quark 2015 v.11.1. When I open files created last

Customer Question

I have Quark 2015 v.11.1. When I open files created last week all text has disappeared and text boxes show symbol for not enough space to contain the text. I opened previous files going back four years and the same has happened. Why?
Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Acer laptop connected to a large monitor
Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, none have been offered
Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The font is an Adobe Gill Sans which I have used for ages
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell m the version of windows you are using?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows 10
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Please hold the windows key next to ALT and wit it held press R

Then type in

%appdata%

press enter

Click on appdata at the top

Then click on Local

Then delete the Quark folder

Then restart and try Quark

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard, I deleted the Quark folder in AppData and then rebooted. Quark appears to have rebuilt its preferences, but opening the file that showed the problem still produces the same error message. I didn't give you this before but it is::
"Specific layout settings or different font versions may cause this text to reflow. [19]"
I've also noticed that, in MSWord, trying to change a paragraph of text to some of the fonts used in the Quark file, e.g. Palermo and Gill Sans Light, Word does not display the text in those fonts... the text appears in what looks like Ariel with the characters improperly organised.
I noticed that the language settings for Word were "US", so I let the system download UK English and install that, and then rebooted again but the problem still exists.
It seems like a font problem that Word handles more elegantly than Quark.
Many thanks for help so far.
Pauline
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard, PS: Something else I've noticed. In QX if you expand the font chooser every font has a symbol next to it. They are TT, A, green O and red O. I believe these respectively stand for Truetype, Adobe postscript, Open type (though I don't know Open type fonts have green and red Os). All the fonts work correctly except those labelled A (Adobe). Does this help?
Pauline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, than do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then test if you have the issue still please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear *****
Thanks for the further advice but I've been doing some internet research and from what I can read from the following link it would seem it is a problem with the Creators update of Windows:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4a1b0d78-bed3-465b-be38-859b4180a01b/missing-fonts-after-creators-update-installed?forum=win10itprogeneralConsequently I am going to wait until Microsoft issue a fix. If you'd like to keep an eye on this as well and get in touch when a fix is available, please do. For now though I am going to leave my system as it is and I'm going to work around the problem by not using .pfb/.pfm fonts, since TrueType OpenType fonts still seem to work.
Thank you for your help and regards, Pauline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok, we can do undo the update for now Pauline until the next one comes out, would you prefer to do this or work around it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Richard. I would prefer to work around the problem for now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

No problem, I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.