Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a samsung galaxy note 4 and every once in a while

I have a samsung galaxy note 4 and every once in a while half the screen freezes, and the other half goes sort of grey
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.
You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

after how long does this happen?

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

What do you do to fix it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has been happening randomly for a few weeks now. I clear the cache on the phone, and I turn the phone on and off until the screen works.
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

did you try to run the system update?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

how old is the unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have owned the phone for about a year
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

we basically follow the initial steps which is limited for example clearing caches, updating system files, have you tried factory reset as well?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I haven't done a factory reset
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

i would not suggest you to do that now.

Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
Enable Partial_Wake_Lock and set it to number 4
Enable Auto-Start

If you find the problem still persists after a few days then you backup all your data on an external or an sd card using superbackup app from the play store that backsup all you phone data including contact make sure you see the backup on the external device and then run the factory restore steps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I will try that. What will happen when I run Wake Lock?
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

i would not suggest you to do that now.

Download Wake Lock from the Play Store
Enable Auto-Start

If the problem still persists after a few days then you backup all your data on an external or an sd card using superbackup app from the play store that backsup all you phone data including contact make sure you see the backup on the external device and then run the factory restore steps.

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

That has worked for may Galaxy note 4.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What will happen when I enable Partial_Wake_lock and set it to number 4? Will I lose any data or settings?
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

no you will not loose any data using the app.

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

If the problem persists follow

Factory reset steps:
Turn off the Galaxy Note 4 completely.
Press and hold the Volume Up and the Home keys together, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Note 4 vibrates, release both the Home and Power keys but continue holding the Volume Up key.
When the Android System Recovery shows on the screen, release the Volume Up key.
Using the Volume Down key, highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset’ and press the Power key to select it.
Now highlight ‘Yes — delete all user data’ using the Volume Down key and press the Power key to begin the reset.
When the master reset is complete, highlight ‘Reboot system now’ and hit the Power key.
The Note 4 will restart but it will be longer than usual. When it reaches the Home screen, then begin your setup.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I will try that Wake Lock later today.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On Google play, there is an app called Wake Lock - PowerManager and there is another one called Wakelock Detector. Which is the correct app to use?
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

let me check

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

its the one which is has an icon of a (orange) gear and a lock

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, thanks, ***** ***** it. I will try that this afternoon. Thank you.
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using our service

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I am going to give a rating of 3 stars because I don't know yet if the solution will work.
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 months ago.

not a problem you can come back anytime you have a question post me a reply on justanswer.com i will get back to you.