Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Can a lost mobile phone be disabled using imei number when

Can a lost mobile phone be disabled using imei number when there is no phone service attached
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please tell me the make and model of the phone Tom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
iphone 6
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am not sure what you mean by securely connect and what that will achieve
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You cannot do it via the IMEI but you can do it via Find My Phone

click on my link below

www.icloud.com

Sign in using the same Apple ID you used on the iPhone

Once in, click on Find My Phone

Then once in

1. Click All Devices, then select the device you want to erase.

2. In the device’s Info window, click Erase [device].

This then wipes the phone and locks it so it cannot be used, but it has to have an internet connection of some kind for this to work, nothing you do can get around this.

Let me know please how you go

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if the phone is not connected to wifi the people who have it can access the data on the phone
there is no way of erasing this apart from what you have advised above?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Did you have a screen lock on the phone requiring you to enter a 4-6 digit password ***** unlock it?

And no, no other way to erase other then having the phone in your hands and doing it or via the way I indicated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a 4 digit screen lock
presumably that can be broken
I had a conversation with someone on internet who described himself as an ethical hacker who said that he could remotely erase the phone data, but that seems a load of nonsense from what you are saying?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok, that was nonsense what that "hacker" said.

It cannot be broken, the only way to remove the lock is to reset phone which removes all your data.

Then they cannot set it up again as they need your Apple ID, so with this in mind your data is safe, they cannot view it either on the phone itself or via a computer.

The lock can be broken, but there are only about 3 companies that can do this, they do not do it for consumers, and it is incredibly expensive. You may recall when the FBI needed the data from the iPhone and the one company that ended up being able to do it for them, it would not have been cheap as it requires a lot of expensive technology and time.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.