JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I received a Packard update which I tried to install. I run

I received a Packard Bell update which I tried to install. I run Windows 10 (32 bit). Now my computer just loops with the message "Bad Pool Caller". It winds up to 100%, restarts and gets the same message. I have tried a System Restore but to no effect. The screen changes so fast I cannot catch it at any point. What should I do now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Helen, sorry to hear your having issues.

What are you trying to do to access the system restore?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The system restore popped up after I pulled the power. Hhowever, it said it was successful but I still get the same loop
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not talking to you from the Packard Bell computer. It will not start and so remote access is not possible
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there? If there is no response, I think I will have to give up.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Helen,

The offers for calls and remote assistance are automated adverts for additional services.

We are a third party firm called Just Answer, and not affiliated with Packard Bell, we do however provide expertise on a range of topics from computers to legal advice.

The fault suggests you may have a memory fault, when you start up the computer there should be a screen for a second or two which will say press Del or press F2 to access BIOS, it may take a few times turning it off and on to see the message but it should appear within first 5 seconds of turning it on.

What key is it asking you to press?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
press del
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok, start the computer and straight away keeping tapping the delete key on the keyboard until a blue screen loads which will be the BIOS.

From there we need to locate the self test functionality and test the components of the PC.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the BIOS set up utility screen which automatically came on when I pressed the del key.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Great on there what options are displayed, you should be able to use the mouse but if that doesnt work you can use the keyboard arrows to navigate through the options.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The top line reads main advanced power authentication security boot options exit. Under that there is the option set the date and in the box below select screen select item Enter: Select +/-/Space: Change Opt. F7 restore user defaults F8 saver as user DEfault settings (when access level is administrator) F10 Save and Exit set up ESC: Exit
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Under advanced what can you see any options for a self test?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my mouse doesn't work and the arrow keys won't let me to up to the top line.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok, press the escape (ESC) button, the computer will then restart, half way through the booting of windows 10 before it completes press the restart button, let it restart and half way through booting press the restart button again, then do it once more, and on booting for the 4th time leave it and it should go into auto repair mode.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where is the restart button?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Its normally located next to the power button

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no restart button - next to the power or anywhere else that I can see so I think I would need to press the power button.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

In that case yes you need to hold the power button in for around 5 seconds to power it off mid boot

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Let me know once you have the recovery/automated repair screen up

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after pressing the escape button a recovery screen came up with it looks like windows hasn't loaded correctly and then gives me the option of see advanced repair option or restart my PC. Which do I choose?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Right go to advanced

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now the choice is 1. Continue and exit to windows 10 2. Troubleshoot 3. Turn off your PC. Which one?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

You want Troubleshoot

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Under troubleshoot there is reset this PC or Advanced options - which one?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Then select Advanced options then Startup Settings finally Restart

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

When the options show up chose Safe Mode with Networking F5 or 5 to select that.

Let me know what happens when windows then loads.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was advising using the number keys and then gave 9 options but the computer has switched off! What do I do?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Did you selection option 5 as above?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - it happened too quickly.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok then we need to do a full reinstall.

Please follow the instructions as shown on this video here.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I am taking a break, I will be back in a couple of hours, and assist further, if not can pick this up tomorrow AM if that works better for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It ended up on system restore - which said it was successful but still a failure. After my
dinner and a large gin and tonic - any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
AM is fine - unless I've kicked the thing to death!!
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to hear your still having issues, where did your purchase the PC from and how long have you had it for, as it suggests this must be a hardware fault (rather than a software one).

Expert:  JamesI replied 27 days ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hello,Thanks for your messages. As I mentioned, I have now bought a new computer and am in the process of getting it set up.regards,Helen
Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

No problem, do let me kow if you need any further assistance setting up the new one Helen.