David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

My works WiFi is DrayTek, I use my laptop at home, can

My works WiFi is DrayTek, I use my laptop at home, can DrayTek redirect my Home WiFi users to work?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can they look at connections on my home WiFi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can they listen to conversations
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

My name is David.

If you use a device, such as a laptop from work, then yes it is possible for them to redirect network traffic from your home to your place of work because they could install programs on a work laptop or device that enables such redirection to occur (such as a VPN service). However, if you do not use any devices from your workplace to connect to WiFi at your home then it is not likely that they are listening to conversations or looking at your home WiFi connections (that would be illegal).

If you have further questions just let me know.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When my mobile is with me at work they can access there though ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe they have been watching and listening to me at home through laptop network connection
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

They can access your phone if you connect to their network and also if it is used for work. If they have a BYOD program where you use your mobile for work they can access it.

Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

If they have apps installed on your phone and your phone connects to WiFi then that could be how they do it.

If your laptop is used to connect to networks as your workplace from home, then they could use that connection to gather information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** know if the police could prove this is happening?
She knows details about me that she could only know if she had been in my house? Thanks again
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

Police departments vary in their digital forensic capability however if your police department has some good digital forensic people then yes they could prove that people at your work are eavesdropping on you. However to do so they would either need a warrant and probable cause, may be difficult to get in this case, or you could report it and ask them to inspect your laptop or mobile phone for services that listen and/or forward information to your workplace.

You could also use a network capture software such as wireshark to capture transmissions from your laptop and mobile while at home to see if any of the traffic is being sent over the Internet. Of course the phone could also have a service on it that records information and uploads the information every time you go to work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she seems to get the information from my phone at work. She puts her phone as near to mine as possible. Even stands her handbag next to mine. It’s driving me crazy how she knows about me
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

If she is doing that you need to disable the Bluetooth on your phone. There are spy apps that can suck a massive amount of data from your phone to someone else's phone just by being within 15 or so meters of that phone. It sounds like that is how she is doing it is through a Bluetooth connection to your phone with a spy app on her phone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

Glad I could help.

Also, please provide a positive rating as that is how I receive credit for my work.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do, I’m looking for another job.
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

Yeah, I would as well. That's very shady and the IT folks should have detected that that app is on her phone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She’s the ceo
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

Tough to fight that one - would need the ear of an insider on the board of directors that doesn't like her - or something similar - to out leverage her.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s the surprising thing, it’s a small company of 50 employees, there’s her and her husband. I’m her only manager!
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

That's crazy! Based on your description I'm positive it has to be a Bluetooth app on her phone. Probably bought it online and installed it just for this purpose. It's very common. Turning off your phone, or at least disabling Bluetooth, in crowded public places is what many people do just for this reason.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I’ve really been going crazy! Apple and 02 told me it was not possible. I even bought a new phone
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

There is an information security conference called Black Hat Briefings that is held every year at various locations around the world. One rule all attendees adhere to is never bring any electronic device, powered on or not, into the conference, because your data will get stolen. What she is using is a technique hackers have used for years that has developed into a mainstream spy app.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I could have some fun with this, until I find another job.
Expert:  David L replied 1 month ago.

Yes, agreed!