Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a Hewlett-Packard desktop Model; Compaq 6000 Pro SFF

I have a Hewlett-Packard desktop
Model; Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC
Model No: VW 188 ET #ABU.
Can you tell me please, if I can fit a Video Card to this machine?
If so, Can you advise? re: Make, cost, availability etc?
Many thanks,
Kevin.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues.

It is still under warranty? I am asking because installing a video card can void the warranty as you need to open the case.

Please give me a moment to check for your PC specifications.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No, it is not under warrenty
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please give me a moment to locate your specific unit information. I am seeing only the general series. Hold on please.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Can you locate the serial number of your HP device?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Give me a mo'
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
CZC112CFHY
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Thank you. Please give me a moment

Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any hardware specifications from HP on your specific model. However, there are few things that you can do for me to determine what upgrades are available for your HP specifically the video card.

First, you can open the computer case and then take a picture of the motherboard. But I do not suggest this fat this time. You might be using the computer right now. Please proceed to the second option below.

The second option involves using a free tool to detect the name and model of your MOTHERBOARD and the Graphics card.

Here is the link:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Please install the Speccy tool, then run it. Then tell me what is listed for:

1. Motherboard

2. Graphics

Jess

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No thank you Jess,
That is all a bit too advanced for me - I'm 87 and not too computer savvy. Under the circumstances, you seem to have done as much as you could. On my pension £31 Pounds seems heavy for the result - but so be it.
Kevin.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for writing back. If you want, I can remotely access your computer so that I can directly check the computer upgrade options for you. That is, if you are using the computer right now, I can remotely access it, then do the diagnostics to guide in the upgrade options.

I will try to send you the formal offer Secure Remote Assistance with the minimum fee. Please accept it so that we can then do the remote session.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hello again Jeff, On the 15 th of last month, I did that, with what I took to be a reputable computer specialist. This resulted in being "Hacked" - if that is the right word, having to get new credit and debit cards, and having to get my bank to recover what was taken. I have no reason to doubt your honesty, and I don't feel comfortable even discussing this, but I could never face the consequences, if the same thing were to happen again. I do hope you understand my situation, and apologise if I have unwittingly offended you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for writing back and I truly understand your concerns. I am very sorry to hear that you were betrayed by someone whom you expected to help you with your computer. And I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you have had to experience because of that "refutable" computer specialist. And with that bad experience of yours, I understand if you will never allow remote access help again.

On the other hand, I am working as an individual contractor or computer expert for JustAnswer.com. I am one of the experts here, and JustAnswer.com has a lot of VERIFIED experts in various categories. I have helped a lot of customers for over 5 years that I have been working here FULL-TIME. (Yes, I am working from home.)

Our remote service assistance is safe and secure and we will NEVER do betray our customer's trust as part of our code of conduct otherwise we will lose our job. But I understand if you will not allow remote access in your case.

Going back to your question, the only determining factor for your upgrade of video card is the MODEL of your Motherboard. When that motherboard model is known, I can then look up its specifications to know if you have an expansion slot for video cards and what types of cards can be placed there.

If you cannot run the tool using the link I gave you, I just hope you can open your computer case and look at the bigger labels in the motherboard. One of the labels there could be the motherboard model.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Jess,
Sorry for the delay. I had not realised that you had answered me. If you bear with me I will see if I can get that number for you and I will call you back.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Ok Kevin, please take your time.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
As far as my eyes can see the number is###-##-####0314602 VERAO3
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Is there any sticker label on the board to determine its name and model? The info you gave me cannot be found on the HP site.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I see these two numbers, but they are not on the motherboard:
HP P/N 577493-001 and
CT EAXE COBXPZ081.
Any help?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

That is for the heat sink. 577493-001 is the heat sink.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hp-Compaq-6000-6005-SFF-Heatsink-577493-001-/230949010816

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Jess, I think we had best wrap this up. You are doing your best with so little info from me. And I have noticed, once I took the case top off, where the vertical slots are at the back of the case - there is no recepticle for a Video card, or any other card. there is just no slot to take them.
I have taken up far too much of your time, you have been as helpful as you could have been under the circumstances, So I accept your fee of £31 pounds, and many thanks for your help. I commend you.
Best regards,
Kevin.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 27 days ago.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for writing back and for your patience. Video cards can be inserted in a PCI slot, PCIe x1 or PCIe x16 slot. This means that if your motherboard has a PCI, PCIe x1 or PCIe x16, you can install a video card of that type. Here is the link for a typical motherboard of your HP model:

https://h20464.www2.hp.com/Media/39CC12FC-900E-48B7-B697-48F5AB828E92/wolves_sff_part_locator.html

On the left menu, click on System board, then click on the > that says Click for system board layout.

That board has the following expansion slots that can be used for a video card:

• 1 PCI slot
  • 2 PCIe x1 slots
  • 1 PCIe x16 slot

Here is the screen shot if you are not able to use the link above:

http://filesxpress.com/d-ca87382d

Now, if you want to know what video cards are available for the PCIe x16, check this shortened link:

http://tinyurl.com/ydyd488o

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess