Richard Hill
Richard Hill, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  A good general knowledge of electronics, computers and telephony. I can usually get most things fixed.
14784508

I have a home PC lap top, and a home Wifi network, no

I have a home PC lap top, and a home Wifi network, no server. Does my lap top have or does it require server applications to be activated on it and without a server would I require a server warranty for the lap top?

Hi Paul,

No you should not need server applications activated or a server warranty if you are just using a standard laptop(s) with standalone applications on each of your devices. Was there any particular reason for your question?

Best Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been advised by UK-ITL that I need these features for continued security
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This sounds as though UK-ITL are a scam. Should and can I report them to some authority and how can I check that my computer has not been infected in some way by them?

I just did a search for UK-ITL and can't find them.

Did they phone you 'out of the blue'?

Did they access your computer., i.e take control of it?

If so, what did they do?

Best Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They were originally recommended to me by McAfee 18 months ago when I had an external breach of my home wifi. They contacted me again several times over the past week and yes had remote access to my lap top yesterday to "fix" the issue they claim to have discovered

Hi Paul,

Did they charge for the service?

Do you have any receipt or documentation (email) from them to show who they are?

My concern is whether they may have loaded anything onto your laptop or stolen any passwords.

The only thing I can suggest is that you change your passwords, stop using you laptop on the internet and take it to somewhere like PC World and explain the situation, they should be able to scan it and remove anything that shouldn't be there.

Best Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have documentation and e-mails from them. Should I report them?

Does the documentation or email have a website address, or any further details I can check?

Best Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Rich, they started life as UK DTL- UK database technology ltd - this was the company that McAfee passed me onto. They then became UK-ITL but I also can't find their site but have an***********number for their support line. Yesterday I was passed to UK Instant Support Ltd - http://www.netwrok-expert.co.uk. They sent me an invoice which I haven't paid.
Paul

Hi Paul,

http://www.network-expert.co.uk/ seems to be a real company and use that same phone number, but is only 1 month old. Looks like they typically deal with corporate clients, so hard to understand how they got involved in this, but hopefully not a rogue outfit. We don't really know if there's anything to report them for, apart maybe over zealous selling of their services. As I say, probably best to get your laptop checked over by someone known like PC World.

Best Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks Rich. Clearly I shouldn’t pay for the server applications and warranty though?
Paul

Hi Paul,

No, I don't think so.

Best Regards,

Rich