David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

In the last couple of weeks, drop-down menus don't work on

Customer Question

In the last couple of weeks, drop-down menus don't work on any browser except IE (which I don't particularly like), and autofill is going crazy (including naming files in folders). I find this hugely frustrating and I'm trying to find solutions when I should be working. Tried sorting it with Firefox (refresh, reinstall etc) but nothing works. My graphics card is up to date and I've updated Flash and Java. This happened before the big Windows update the other day so it's not that. I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit.
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 25 days ago.

My name is David.

First I would recommend running an anti-virus scan while in safe mode as the symptoms indicate the presence of malware. To do that reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 key until the advanced boot options menu appears. Select Safe Mode with Networking and let it boot into Safe Mode. Then after login, start your anti-virus software, update it, and run a full scan. Once the scan is complete and all malware found has been quarantined, download the free version of Malwarebytes at the link below:

click here

Then install Malwarebytes and run a second full scan (Malwarebytes tends to find malware that other anti-virus software does not). After the malware found has been quarantined, reboot the computer into normal mode and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result and if you need assistance with any of the steps.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I've tried everything you suggested but I'm afraid it's made no difference whatsoever. Do you have another idea please?
Expert:  David L replied 25 days ago.

Yes, if you have another account configured on the computer, logout of your current account then login to the alternate account. Since the alternate account has a different profile, when you open Firefox and test functionality, if Firefox works correctly that would tell us that the issue is with your Firefox profile and not Firefox itself or malware or another cause.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
But I've already paid £47 and it's not solved. I know you say 100% satisfaction guaranteed, but will I end up having paid £69 and not have a result?
Expert:  David L replied 25 days ago.

Yes, there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

We are not finished troubleshooting - I believe that your Firefox profile may be corrupt. So please follow the procedure below and login to another account on your computer and open Firefox and test to see if the same issues occur. This is just a test to determine the next step in the process of fixing the issue.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I've already done that, and it's not. However, the problem also applies to Chrome, Opera, and Safari for Windows. Plus my autofill problem. Also, I've both refreshed and reinstalled Firefox and tried rolling back to a previous version. Nothing works.
Expert:  David L replied 25 days ago.

Ok then most likely some system files are corrpt. So click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

cmd

in the Search box. Then right click on the command terminal icon that appears and click Run as Administrator.

In the command terminal window type:

sfc /scannow

and press Enter and let it scan. The scan may take awhile as it detects and repairs corrupt system files. Once it completes, reboot the computer and test to see if the issues are resolved.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It says another servicing or repair operation is taking place. Does this mean I should disable my antivirus? Nothing else is running. I've check and only Malware Bytes tray app was running and I've now closed that.
Expert:  David L replied 25 days ago.

Reboot the computer and then try starting the scan again.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sorry I had visitors last night. I am now running the cmd scan and will let you know what happens.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It's come back and said Windows did not find any integrity violations. I think maybe we'd better go for the remote access if you're sure it will work.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Please can you refer back to this question and my discussion with David. I tried everything he suggested but the problem still persists. I desperately need to solve it!
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I am at my computer now in the hope we can resolve this. According to your website, David L is online now.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok - got to leave computer now. Hopefully you'll give me some more suggestions tomorrow, or be able to do remote assistance.
Expert:  David L replied 24 days ago.

Please let me know a best time to connect tomorrow for a remote assistance session so I can connect and fix the problem.

I am in the PDT time zone.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I am in the UK on GMT. I suppose to avoid being in the middle of your night, around 4 pm my time would be good (8 am for you). Please let me know if that's no good.
Expert:  David L replied 24 days ago.

Yes, that time will work. So it must be after 6PM for you right now, a little after 10AM here for me.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi - it's 4.15 now...
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It's now 5.15 and I'll be finishing work for the day in half an hour.
Expert:  David L replied 23 days ago.

Sorry for the late reply - I had a flood of calls come in.

Are you still available?

Expert:  David L replied 23 days ago.

Also, how long will you be available for the remote session?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
About half an hour from now? I mean starting now, for half an hour
Expert:  David L replied 23 days ago.

Ok just a moment...

Expert:  David L replied 23 days ago.

Please click the link below to download the remote assistance program:

click here

In the web page that opens scroll down and click the I Agree button to download the program then select Run if prompted or if not prompted go to your downloads folder and double click the Elsinore file to start the remote session.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm afraid the problem still exists in Safe Mode. This is very depressing! Speak tomorrow :)
Expert:  David L replied 23 days ago.

Hmmmm....that points to the issues being caused by damage to the Windows operating system.

Do you have any recent backups? If the backups also include the "system state" then that could be restored and possibly fix the problem the same way as the System Restore process.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have attached a screenshot of my Backblaze account. Is this what you mean? Also I've had a look at an article that seems to say you use the Windows 7 disc as an upgrade so it doesn't overwrite your files.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I've just discovered something interesting. I wanted to order something from Amazon and discovered the horizontal scrolling thing doesn't happen on Firefox. Don't think that helps though.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
These are the websites I've found:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-repair-a-faulty-windows-installation-without-reformatting/#comment-jump
and
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/i-want-to-reinstall-windows-7-without-losing-any/f951e8ac-7780-432b-991a-93de8050625d?auth=1
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi - it's now nearly 6pm and again I've been at my desk since 9am. I know you're busy but I'm exhausted. I can't do another couple of hours now. Can you please arrange to contact me at 4pm tomorrow?
Expert:  David L replied 22 days ago.

My apologies for the delay.

Yes all the repairs involve using the in place upgrade procedure which is why the backup is recommended.

Yes, let's arrange for tomorrow at that time. I have a daily meeting that has been unexpectedly encroaching on the times we set however tomorrow the meeting is most likely cancelled.

Expert:  David L replied 22 days ago.

I can also identify the best written procedure and forward to you so you can review and ask any questions tomorrow before starting on the repair.

Expert:  David L replied 22 days ago.

It seems the horizontal scrolling happens in Windows and the drop down problem in web browsers except IE which is part of the Windows OS so has the scrolling problem instead.

'Yes, update your Backblaze backup before performing the repair.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
If you want to send anything specific to me please do email me at***@******.***
Expert:  David L replied 22 days ago.

Ok, thank you and will do.

Also, please note the "Enter contact info" link above this text box - you can enter your email address there rather than posting it to the question thread.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
More evidence if we need it - I've just realised that the fact the computer hasn't gone into sleep mode as normal over the past couple of weeks must be a symptom. Plus twice in the last couple of days my printer has been deleted from the PC.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok - at my desk now, ready!
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Ok, great - just a moment....

Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Ok, so you have both the Windows 7 installation disc and the license key correct?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
but only the one on the side of the pc
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi - are you still there?
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

I apologize for the delay - please confirm all the letters and numbers on the license are correct before we proceed.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
When you say 'are correct' what do you mean? It's not the licence for the disc I have which was for an old laptop. Do you want me to email you the code?
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Sometimes the letters and numbers get smudged which is why it should be confirmed first. Yes, please email to me as well. It is OK if the license and the disc were not received together.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Email sent
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Thanks - checking now.

Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Please try sending again.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.

It's **************************

Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Ok, thanks. Your backups are also current as of today correct?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
they are
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Ok, then let's proceed. Once we start, at some point I will get disconnected however will still be available here.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok - what do I do
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
BTW I don't have any other method of connecting with you
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

That will be OK - after a reboot or disconnect you can always return back to this question thread if the remote access connection is lost.

Please click the link below to download and start the remote access connection:

click here

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The connection is not appearing
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Has the reboot completed?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi - I've managed to find you on my iPad. You didn't tell me this was going to take so long! It is now 7.37 and the scan is only 11% complete but nothing has been found. I'll try to attach a photo of my screen. At this rate it will be the small hours of he morning before it's complete. I am so depressed about this. I need to be able to do a full days work tomorrow.
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Normally the scan does not take this long. Since the computer is so slow to reboot and the scan is taking much longer than it should, it leads me to conclude that there is a lot of file system corruption that could also be causing the issues you have been experiencing. So after the scan has completed, test to see if the drop down menu issues and the scroll bar issues still occur - this may indeed fix both.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What exactly is thIs scan doing?
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

It is searching for and fixing file system corruption. If there is extensive file system corruption it could explain the problems with the computer and the very slow reboot performance.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Still only 11% complete but a bit further. I suppose I'd better say goodnight and see you tomorrow. I really hope it's finished by tomorrow morning. I'm attaching another photo. Still no bad files though.
Expert:  David L replied 21 days ago.

Ok, thanks for the additional information. A disk scan should only take a few minutes so there must be a substantial amount of corruption. I expect to see files fixed in the later stages of the scan. I will check back as well tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The scan finished around 10pm (far too late for me to get back in contact with you) but just rebooted straight away before I could find out if anything had been found. However, the problems are still there.
Expert:  David L replied 20 days ago.

Does it boot faster?

Also, will you be available to run the repair tomorrow?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm afraid this arrangement just isn't working. Your last message arrived after I went to bed last night. I tried the upgrade/repair with my disc and it hung on 'gathering files' etc for 3 hours so I abandoned the attempt. I will try to get someone local. I just can't sit waiting for your answers for 10-20 mins after doing a full day's work.
Expert:  David L replied 19 days ago.

Sorry - the holiday disrupted the schedule.

I can be available early my time tomorrow if you would like to try again to run the upgrade/repair.