KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Technician
Experience:  Worked on Electronics
70193065

I have a Sub-zero 700 TC fridge-freezer (2 drawers that open

Customer Question

I have a Sub-zero 700 TC fridge-freezer (2 drawers that open independently from the fridge) about 8 yo, there is a build up of ice at the bottom shelf between the shelf and the back and the food freezes. The temperature also goes up to ca 11-22 C when you open the door frequently, it then drops to a more normal predefined 7C. The technical that came (I have a service agreement with British Gas) thought that the reason is malfunctioning temperature panel at the top of the fridge and changed it. The fridge went back to normal but after two weeks the situation returned with ice building up, etc. On top there is 50 EC signal (I have checked the ventilation grills at the bottom and there is no dust). Also I have noticed that the bottom on the fridge/freezer is warm from left hand side, room temperature on the right hand side.
What can be the cause of the ice-build up and how to rectify it?
I appreciate your informed and detailed advise as I am getting desperate...
Kind regards,
Natalia
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

Customer:

where do i get it?

KevinWhiteJA :

it is located inside the left hand side of the bottom drawer

Customer:

i found the one in the freezer but not sure whether it applies to fridge as well.

Customer:

here it is:

Customer:

I700 TC 12

Customer:

M2164956

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

do you hear any unusual noise as well ?

Customer:

may be it is a bit loud and kind of buzzy? i am not sure whether it should be completely silent

KevinWhiteJA :

and where is that noise coming from ? was it still there before before the control was replaced ?

Customer:

bottom of the fridge? but difficult to say for sure

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, the EC50 error that you are getting means refrigerator is running too long and not getting cold...as you have already cleaned the condenser unit.. then the only two other possibilities are a failed lower fan motor (the condenser area would be very hot) or a failure of the cooling system itself. From what you have described it is more likely the fan motor itself

KevinWhiteJA :

As you have a service agreement it might be covered under warranty

Customer:

what do you mean "running too long"?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean the unit keeps on running and so it is getting too cold that the food freezes

KevinWhiteJA :

if this error was there earlier as well then it means the problem was not with the control

Customer:

and that's why there is ice build up inside? should we hear the nocie when it is on but then it switches off so there are intervals of working following by intervals of silence?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right

KevinWhiteJA :

the noise should be normal not a loud buzzing noise

KevinWhiteJA :

are we still connected ?

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

yes

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

Customer:

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right, the noise that you hear should be normal not a loud buzzing noise

Customer:

it is not loud , for how long the noise should be on vs the silence?

KevinWhiteJA :

it is not time based...the error EC 50 indicates either the problem is with the fan or the cooling system itself ...it should be checked by the technician for the compressor or refrigerant leak failure of the cooling system....as it is making the unusual noise more likely it is the failed lower fan motor

Customer:

ok, thank you

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer:

no thank you, XXXXX XXXXX see what the technician says

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Day Natalia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kevin,

The technicians from British Gas came to rectify

Ok, good to know it has been solved...let me know if you need more assistance...Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, it wasn's. I was too quick to hit the send button!

Kevin,

The technicians from British Gas came to rectify the problem with Subzero fridge that we discussed with you and chnaged PCB box (what is that?). It made no difference what so ever - the botton of the fridge is covered with ice and a bit of the lower back panel as well .... Shuold they have changed the PCB box? what should have been done instead?

Oh..no I told you that the error EC 50 indicates either the problem is with the fan or the cooling system itself ...it should be checked by the technician for the compressor or refrigerant leak failure of the cooling system....as it is making the unusual noise more likely it is the failed lower fan motor...did you not tell the technician that the problem was not PCB...strange why they changed PCB ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did... what is the PCB?

PCB is the main board....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, the electric one in the fridge?

Yes that is right...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks, will go back to them and insist that they change low fan motor, is it in the frisge part or freezer part and is there an additional check that can confirm that is is faulty? thanks!

No problem....If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is the lower fan motor in the fridge part or freezer part and is there an additional check that can confirm that is is faulty? thanks!

where can i get the technical drawing of the fridge do i can see whether the lower fan motor is?

Are you looking to replace it yourself even though you still have the unit covered under warranty...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh you think too high about my humble abilities:), no, i have a contract with Britisg Gas for maintenance (the warranty I think is no longer valid).

I need to force British Gas (to whom I pay monthly fees) to repair the frisge.

:)OK..let me know how it goes...Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will do, thanks

No problem...Have a good evening