p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

Hi, I wonder if you could help? We get cats in our garden

I wonder if you could help? We get cats in our garden and just as a method to scare them off, I would like to build a small robot. A simple tracked kit ( such as a makeblock) would do.What I want to do with this kit is to leave it outside on the lawn, and if something crosses its path it is activated and then chases after said something. I do not wish to harm the cats, just to scare them off
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

While a robot of sorts could be used here, in my opinion it would be overly complicated and have many pitfalls. You are correct about the difficulty in having it be weatherproof, meaning truly weather proof, not only against rain but also UV from the sun and high temps and low/freezing temps. Most electronics don't mix well with these situations, and most robotics kits are not meant for extended or outdoor use. You'll have further issues with the track system likely being in the way, it would be costly to cover a large area, and even if you did, the limited locations of the track will make it difficult to actually "chase" anything effectively, both in terms of speed and coverage.

Nathan :

If I may, I'd suggest an alternate option instead, as there are devices that are purpose built for this exact task, and have proven success, in a reliable, self contained, automated package in a reasonably priced and easy to deploy system.

Nathan :

What I am suggesting is a motion activated sprinkler head. This is essentially a metal stake that is pressed into the ground and contains a battery powered motion detector, and hooks up to your garden hose. When the motion sensor is activated, it gives a quick burst of water which scares away the wildlife. These are available in smaller sizes for rabbits and cats, on up to very large tripod systems to scare away deer and even bears.

Nathan :

There are other options as well, such as ultrasonic noise emitting devices (also on motion activation) to scare cats, as well as chemical (granular and spray type) options for your garden that would deter them.

Nathan :

My favorite option would be a dog, but that isn't for everyone. I hope some of these options might be a more practical fit for you, but if you still wish to try the robot route, I'll be happy to discuss that with you as well.

Best regards,
Nathan