Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Panasonic Viera TV wont switch on. The standby light flashes

Customer Question

My Panasonic Viera TV won't switch on. The standby light flashes green but the screen won't switch on. It was an intermittent fault which has deteriorated to not switching on at all now. Any ideas on what the problem could be and a solution?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your TV. I want to let you know that providing you with the best possible assistance I can is my main priority, and my livelihood depends on your feedback.

How long have you had the set for?

Does the Power light on the set blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Please reply back and we can continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you first plug it in, the standby light is continuously red. You leave it for a while then it flashes red, a few times then a pause (not sure how many).

If you try to switch it on, the light flashes green very fast then goes to solid green as if the tv is on but no picture is up. If you then leave it for a while it goes back to flashing red.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The blinking light on Panasonic sets are codes implemented by Panasonic to tell a Tech what may be wrong with the TV. They are usually very specific. Is there any way you can check how many blinks between pauses so I can give you an accurate diagnosis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can switch it on now and wait but I'm not sure how long it will take.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
There's a couple of ways we can do this, I can tell you what the most likely culprits are in the TV, or if you want to reply back when you get the blink code, I can give you a more definitive answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I switched it on and about 3 minutes later it has just switched the standby light off itself. No blinking this time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me know what the most likely culprits could be. I have switched it on now so it has a solid green light but no picture. I'm waiting to see if it goes back to the blinking light and what pattern it gives.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, this is typically caused by out of spec capacitors on the power supply board, and in some instances the mainboard or a sustain board can cause the issue- but typically generate a blinking code on the set. Plasmas and LCD's alike are known for capacitors on the power supply board drifting out of spec, and over time can cause the TV to shut down, or not power up. There aren't any resets or quick fixes however for this problem and it does require service.

Average cost to have either the power board repaired or replaced is going to be in the $200-$250 parts and labor range. Now I'm not sure how long you've had the set for, but generally because you're close to the cost of replacement, it is not a cost effective repair as the set can be replaced with a 32" LCD or LED for between $250-$350.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for and I wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this typically a problem that would worsen from doing it occasionally to not switching on at all?

I now have the red blinking light back. It blinks 13 times before pausing. Does this help towards identifying the problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
This problem will get worse over time, and the 13 blink code is "communication failure" between the Mainboard and the Power Supply. The Mainboard provides the "turn on" command for the supply to engage then provide the 5 different reference voltages the TV needs to operate. Unfortunately the only way to isolate is further is to open the set up and perform voltage testing specifically on the 15 volt line from the power supply to ensure it's functional.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It looks like I've fixed it. Threatened it with a multi-meter to test the connection. After unplugging the power supply from the circuit board and plugging it back in, it seems to work again!

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Martin, and if you need anything further feel free to request me.