p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

Why does my home theater system keep switching itself on and

Customer Question

Why does my home theater system keep switching itself on and off model no. Sc-ht1500
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the panasonic

Nathan :

there are several possible causes of this

Nathan :

can you please clarify, is it really turning both on and off by itself, or does it shut down while in use, then stay off?

Nathan :

If both on and off, what is the frequency, and does it only happen during regular use, or is it happening spontaneously (turning on when you weren't already using it)

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : It is only happening during regular use and it is turning on and off approx every 10 seconds
Nathan :

Thank you for the information,

Nathan :

this is most likely a defective power supply board within the theater system

Nathan :

can you please dry disconnecting everything from the receiver unit (all speakers and any attached components),

Nathan :

then power it on with nothing connected except the power cord

Nathan :

you can try to play a dvd then, and observe what happens

Nathan :

if the problem stops, then it was being caused by an electrical short in an attached speaker/component,

Nathan :

if the problem continues, it would confirm that it is internal to the receiver (a hardware failure).

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Ok done time clock is flashing zone and stand by
Nathan :

That is something that would require repairs to correct, which honestly is not worth the investment. These units are not really meant to be serviced, and at 10-12 years old, it is well past it's expected lifespan, so it would be time to replace it with a new system.

Nathan :

You can keep this chat open if you need some time to observe it

Nathan :

since you mentioned it will work for awhile before the switching starts

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Have turned unit on with just the power cord and it has turned on and stayed on
Nathan :

Okay, go ahead and keep an eye on it for awhile, I'd say at least 10-15 minutes

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Do we put all the wires back in
Nathan :

No

Nathan :

continue to operate it with nothing else connected

Nathan :

we need to observe if the problem returns in this state, to isolate if the cause is internal or external to the receiver

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Ok
Nathan :

Thanks. I'll wait for your update, take as long as you need

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Unit has stayed on
Nathan :

That is actually good news,

Nathan :

it tends to indicate that the problem is external

Nathan :

Now comes the tricky part

Nathan :

which is isolating the problem.

Nathan :

it isn't difficult, just time consuming.

Nathan :

Basically, we need to reconnect everything one at a time, and observe

Nathan :

so reconnect just 1 speaker, give it 10-15 minutes, if still good, add another speaker, etc

Nathan :

then if it is okay with all speakers connected, start adding in any component connections (cable/satellite box, etc)

Nathan :

if the issue comes back, then we can most likely attribute it to the last device connected, though it is still possible this is an internal short in the amplifier that is only happening when the speakers are connected

Nathan :

Further testing will help us to isolate the issue though,

Nathan :

and we can then address it when we know more

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Speaker connected do we wait again and then put the next thing on and let you know later
Nathan :

Yes that is exactly correct.

Nathan :

One at a time, connect a speaker, wait and observe. If okay, connect the next and observe, etc

Nathan :

You can leave the chat open, or bookmark/favorite this page to get back to me when you have a chance.

Nathan :

I'm online most all day (I'm in the US though, pacific time). If it is more convenient for you, your'e welcome to follow up with me at another day/time as well.

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Everything reconnected and still working ok
JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Everything is connected and still working ok
JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Everything is now reconnected and all is working
JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Everything is now reconnected and all is working fine
Nathan :

Nathan :

Great, glad to hear it

Nathan :

so that most likely means that what was happening before was a short in one of the wires,

Nathan :

even a single strand of speaker wire touching another wire or the back of the receiver could cause a problem, as could reversed connections, etc

Nathan :

in the process of moving things around, you probably just inadvertently got everything back where it belongs, clearing the issue up.

Nathan :

Just keep an eye on it, and if the problem starts happening again, then it is more likely to be internal. If that is the case, you can try blowing it out well with compressed air, to remove any dust inside that could be causing overheating. Beyond that, we'd be back to considering repair/replacement for an intermittnet internal failure.

JACUSTOMER-ngu7j54q- : Thanks we will try to use it tonight and let you know if the problem is solved
Nathan :

You're welcome, and good luck!