Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We got a samsung httz325 home theatre system.....when we turn

We got a samsung httz325 home theatre system.....when we turn it on it displays PROT then switches off. It takes about 30-45 mins to get it to actually work. Have disconnected speakers from rear of unit to see if this was causing problem....still doing it....have reset the unit back to factory settings...still no joy. Its only just over 2 years old and its well looked after not abused....any suggestions its driving us up the wall....thank you in advance
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. If the unit shows Protect without anything at all connected to the outputs- both speakers and speaker wires, then the output stage that drives the speakers has internally failed. "Protect" means there's a short at the speaker outputs, so when you remove any chance of an external short, it means the devices that power the speaker outputs are shorted. There is nothing as far as resets or adjustments you can make to fix this. It will take nothing less than having the unit opened, and the old outputs removed (with a soldering iron), then new ones soldered in their place. The average cost for this type of repair is typically $150-$200 parts and labor on this device.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for and I wish there were a quick fix. If you're looking to repair this yourself, you will need at the very least proficient soldering skills, and possibly the ability to measure voltages.

If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that still apply even if the unit does eventually work after pressing the power switch continually.....as this is what happens....it.does work eventually but its taking ages to do so

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Joanne. It still does apply because the "Protect" message monitors the speaker outputs. It's the same as the car giving you a "check oil" light when the oil is low. The Samsung monitors for faults inside the unit, and the screen is used to display diagnostics. Protect can only mean the following:

1) A shorted speaker connected to the receiver.

2) A shorted speaker wire connected to the receiver.

3) A shorted output transistor stage inside the receiver.

Please keep in mind that electronics can be intermittent even when they're faulty, and still work sometimes. However, the fact that you saw the message on the receiver at all with no speakers connected indicates a hardware failure inside the unit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you for your advice.....so botXXXXX XXXXXne is we are probably better off buying a new one rather than repair as i think it would be cheaper to buy a new one.....something we can really do without at the moment.....thanks again Aric for your help

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and unfortunately it would be more cost effective to replace this unit rather than repair. They are not really designed to be serviced in the sense that the repair costs are going to encroach the cost of replacing it.

If you're satisfied with my service, please kindly use the rating system so I am credited.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company