Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Authorized Samsung Partner 8 years CE support experience
63083622

Do you have the safety data sheet(s) for Dukane 100 / 120 /

Do you have the safety data sheet(s) for Dukane 100 / 120 / 140 and B362-06192-2 batteries please?  I'm particularly interested in section 14 - Transportation (all modes).

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Adam, I can wait a bit, no problem. All batteries will have a Safety Data Sheet, previously known as a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), and it covers all the obvious safety risks and actions, like instances of fire spillage, first aid treatment etc, Section 14 is the transportation details for items such as Dangerous Goods, and covers the UN No. and Proper Shipping Name etc.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
Here is the MSDS for the DK120 beacon battery. I will try to contact Dukane Seacom for updated information because this one is from 99.

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/ckm/ckmbs.html

Transportation section:

"
=================== MSDS Transport Information =================== Transport Information:THIS BATTERY IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE DOT SUBCHAPTER C, HAZARDOUS MATERIAL REGULATIONS BECAUSE IT MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF 173.185(C). EXEMPT FROM THE DOT HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SUBCHA PTER PROVIDING THEY ARE SEPARATED TO ***** AND PACKED IN STRONG PACKING FOR CONDITIONS NORMALLY ENCOUNTERED IN TRANSPORTATION. CONSIDERED NON-DANGEROUS BY "ICAO" AND "IATA" BECAUSE I T MEETS ALL THE REQUIREMENTS OF SPECIAL PROVISION "A45" LISTED IN 1998 ICAO HANDBOOK AND 1999 IATA HANDBOOK. MUST ASSURE PREVENTION FROM SHORT CIRCUITING AND SHIPPED IN STRONG PACKAGING."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes. Thanks for the information, but 99 is no good, the transport regulations for lithium batteries have changed significantly since then, and I'm pretty sure these batteries will now be in scope of the regulations.

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I saw mention of that in one of Dukane's other documents, I am still waiting to hear back from them.
Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
I was in touch with someone from Radiant Power Corp and they need the serial numbers for the units and or the battery codes in order to look up the MSDS sheets. If you can get that info to me I should be able to get the MSDS.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes, it's not the CVR's (Cockpit Voice Recorders) that's the problem, it's the ELT's (Emergency Locator Beacons) fitted to them, an then only the lithium batteries which power them, the DK100 / 120 / 140 and B362-06192-2. I know this is a tricky one, I've tried everything I know, without success!!

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
I know it's just the batteries. On the battery should be a battery code, (a letter). They said they needed that to get the right document. Otherwise, if you have a serial number for the device they came out of, they should be able to look it up that way. If you don't have any of that, I can try calling them back and asking them to send everything if possible, then I'll forward that on to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes

I'm still waiting for the safety date sheets!!! So no I haven't given feedback or given a rating.

I will do both when I get the sheets.

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
I need a serial number for the device it's used in, or a battery code... do you have either or can you get either of those? If not, can you get me photos of the batteries in question? My apologies on not getting back to you sooner, I wasn't getting the e-mail notifications that you had responded.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes, no problem, I didn't get your last one either!! I think the best solution is if you can get everything from them, that way I can look up on each occassion and make sure I get the right information to match against the serial and component. Is getting that information going to be difficult?

Cheers

Chris

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
I don't think I can go to them and say "give me everything"... it would be best if I had some info to start with... battery models and serial numbers, battery codes, etc...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes.
Battery models are those on the initial question i.e. Dukane 100, Dukane 120, Dukane 140 and B362-06192-2. As a model is of identical manufacture, serial numbers should be irrelevant as the SDS would be for each model anyway. There may be a difference between battery models though.

Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the batteries? If so how many are we talking about? The reason I need the battery code or the serial number off the batteries because yes there are differences between battery models... and there are different battery sub-models. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is if you have two batteries from the DK100 or DK120, the batteries could be different because they are manufactured in different batches. Hence why I'm asking for the battery code.
Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I did try a give me everything you have on the information you provided and here's what Radiant came back with:

http://bit.ly/VcKCSO

There are 2 PDF files with the MSDS. Actually, it's not a true MSDS because a MSDS isn't required for these so it doesn't exist. It's a product information bulletin so it should have some of the same information. Since they list the manufacturer of the battery as Panisonic, they may need to be consulted if this doesn't have the info needed.

the link can be used twice before it will expire. If it doesn't work when you click on it, that means someone else has clicked on it twice and I'll need to provide a new link.

Let me know if you need any other information. Or please rate if this is the information you were requesting.

Here is the Transportation Section for the Code B batteries :

TRANSPORTATION

Panasonic BR-C lithium batteries are not subject to the requirements of the Department of Transportation (DOT) Subchapter C, Hazardous Materials Regulations if shipped by ground in compliance with 49 CFR 173.185 and
Special Provision 189. The DOT regulates our BR-C battery as a “medium” sized battery. One of the requirements of SP 189 is that the package of these batteries must be labeled: “LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT AND VESSEL.”

According to ICAO, 2013-2014 edition, IATA, 54th edition and IMO regulations, 2010 edition, 35th Amendment, the Panasonic BR-C battery must be shipped as a fully regulated Class 9 dangerous good. These regulatory agencies do recognize the concept of a DOT “medium” sized battery.

All Panasonic lithium cells are tested and comply with the UN Model Regulations, Manual of Test and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3.

If you build any of our lithium cells into a battery pack, you must also assure that they are tested in accordance with the UN Model Regulations, Manual of Test and Criteria. Part III, subsection 38.3, 5th revised edition, Amendment 1.

If you plan on transporting any untested prototype battery packs contact your Panasonic Sales Representative for regulatory information.

Here is the transportation section for the Code C batteries:

TRANSPORTATION
All Panasonic lithium batteries, except for our BR-C, are not subject to the requirements of the Department of
Transportation (DOT) Subchapter C, Hazardous Materials Regulations if shipped in compliance with 49 CFR
173.185 and Special Provision 188.

Effective January 1, 2013 all Panasonic lithium batteries can be shipped by air in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) 2013-2014 edition, Section II or Section 1B or International Air Transport Association (IATA) 54th edition, Section II or Section 1B, Packing Instructions (PI) 968 (Batteries), PI 969 (Batteries, packed with equipment) and PI 970 (Batteries, contained in equipment) as appropriate.

All Panasonic lithium batteries are regulated by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), 2010 edition, 35th
amendment, under Special Provisions 188 and 230.

All Panasonic lithium cells are tested and comply with the UN Model Regulations, Manual of Test and Criteria, Part
III, subsection 38.3.

The DOT requires that the outside of each package that contains lithium metal batteries, regardless of size or number of batteries, be labeled with the following statement: “LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES- FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT”. The labeling requirement covers shipments via highway, rail, vessel or cargo-only Aircraft and covers all shipments inside, into or out of the US. The label must be in contrasting color and the letters must be 12 mm (0.5 in) in height for packages weighing more than 30 Kg and 6 mm (0.25 in) in height for packages weighting less than 30 Kg.

If you plan on transporting any untested prototype battery packs contact your Panasonic Sales Representative for
regulatory information.

Wes, Consultant
Experience: Authorized Samsung Partner 8 years CE support experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wes, that's brilliant, just what I needed, it confirms that what we are doing is correct. Thanks very much for the pdf's, I've downloaded them for furure use. Thanks again. I'll do your rating now.