carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

Synchronous Geared Motor

Customer Question

I have a Synchronous Geared Motor and would like advise about wiring to mains electricity.

Rating 220-240V   50Hz    20rpm(fixed speed)   Input Power 3W   "A" rated insulation.

Can I fit to a standard 3 pin domestic plug and use a simple inline on/off switch and what fuse protection, in the plug, would I fit.

This motor is for simple rotation, at low speed, for turning fishing rod blanks in a jig for attaching rod guides to the blanks with whipping thread.

Very little torque necessary as rod sections are very light and take little force to rotate in the roller jig and clamp I have made.

Martin

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

Hi Martin,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Could you send me the make and model of the motor if available and on the plate. It is a small motor and should be fine direct on line but I would l like to check a bit more if you have a photo of the motor that would be a great help.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

I do not understand what you mean by "should be fine direct on line" please explain.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

I have attached a photograph of the motor it only measures 2 inches across 50mm diameter.

Full Size Image

carlday1 :

The motor will be fine I would connect it through a double pole switch to turn it on and off. The plug would ideally want a 1 amp fuse in it, I do not think the motor needs a capacitor to start or run. I would look into earthing the metal area of the motor for safety.

Direct on line is a motor that can be connected directly to a supply and does not need any sort of control electronics turning it on. Bigger motors get soft started where they are ramped up slowy to full speed.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

I am sorry to ask but what is a double pole switch can I use a 3amp fuse, never seen a 1 amp fuse for a 3pin plug, how do I earth and to what.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Could you please advise in more simple layman terms and a wiring drawing, rough sketch of motor wiring to plug, switch etc, would be appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

How can I earth with only two wires from the motor, I am very practical and able but not up on electrical aspects although I assume this is pretty basic.

carlday1 :

I will draw a sketch and send it to you tomorrow for you

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Much appreciated and many thanks for your patience.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Martin

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Can I do the same with this motor?

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

One motor is slower 5/6rpm for drying epoxy varnish and the other is for whipping the threads on the rod guides 20rpm.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Looking forward to receiving your wiring drawing/sketch instructions.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Many thanks Martin.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

carlday1 :

Hi Martin,

I will get a drawing to you soon I am on a laptop and I am struggling to draw with a touch pad, I will draw a diagram when I am back in work next week.

Carl

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Have you had chance to make drawing.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Please advise as soon as you can.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Many thanks.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Martin

carlday1 :

Hi Martin, I have not had chance today but I will draw one tomorrow Wed 7/1/15 and send it you tomorrow evening.

Carl

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Please advise, expected contact yesterday evening with your wiring sketch.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Many thanks Martin.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Could please reply and let me know about the drawing you were going to supply.

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

Martin

JACUSTOMER-7m4kwcnw- :

If you are not going to reply, please advise so I can get a refund of my deposit with "just answer"