Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Customer Service
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I am having problems connecting my smart tv to the internet

hi i am having problems connecting my smart tv to the internet there seems to be a problem with an unresponsive gateway
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you with your problem. Is your wireless network showing up on your tv screen? If not, you can type the name in and enter your password. Please tell me in detail what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iyahiya
the tv is connected to the broad band and the signal is strong but it cant connect to the internet it says unresponsive gateway on the tv screen i have turned off and back on both the tv and router but same thing happens i know it can work as it happened with my previous provider but signal was weak s0 i upgraded to fibre optic with talk talk my tv is a panasoniv viera 42as500b i think i just need some to help me locate the correct gateway code and tell me where i need to amend to make it work
Can you get to a screen on your tv where it displays the name or you can type in the name of your wifi network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can get to the screen and it displays on my tv all the PI, gateway, sub details and signal strength (which is good), it tries to connect to the internet for what seems like ages and after a while a message comes on the screen that the internet is connected but that it cant connect to the internet because of an unresponsive gateway. It shows all the details for IP address, etc
We can compare the gateway ip address shown on your tv screen with the actual gateway address that you can read on your computer. What is the gateway ip address shown on your tv? What is your computer operating system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok bear with me i will locate the information and i am on windows 10 is it possible to attach a photo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
192.168.1.254
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is a pic
Got it. On your computer, select the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen. Type the word "command" in the search window to bring up the DOS window. At the DOS command prompt type the word "ipconfig" . This will show the actual gateway ip address. You can test the ping command by pinging the gateway. Type "ping 192.168.1.254".Then try to ping your tv by typing "ping 192.168.1.50". Please let me know if you get a response to pinging the tv. You can close the DOS command window by typing "exit" at the command prompt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i may be a while so bear with me sorry to be so dull how will i ping the tv?
Type "ping 192.168.1.50" at the command prompt. That is the ip address for your tv. I saw it in the photo attachment that you sent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok here is the frst bit you asked me to do i (sorry i am so slow )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first set of numbers had this response
pinging with 32 bytes of data
reply from 192.168.1.2 destination host unreachable (siad this 4 times)
ping stats sent 4 recieved 4 lost 0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same reply for the tv
You are doing fine. Thanks for the photos. The gateway address on the last photo was partially obscured, but I believe that it showed 192.168.1.1. This is not the same as the gateway address shown on your tv, and that is the reason that your tv is not getting a response from your gateway. Also why you cannot ping your tv. Try pinging the actual gateway, and you will wee what a good response looks like. Type "ping 192.168.1.1" at the command prompt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sorry doing three things at once
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whoop! got a reply
time taken varies between 5ms and 1ms average 2ms
Right. That's what a good response looks like. But that was just a test of your gateway ip address.. You were pinging from your pc to your router gateway. The problem now is to reconfigure your tv, so that it shows the correct gateway ip address, which is 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.1.254, which is what it shows now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i think i can do that by manually inputting the data off the photo i sent you the first one and amending the gateway address? i have spent hrs on the tv trying to work out whats wrong but couldnt find the right info so i can prob do that
Are you able to manually change the ip addresses on your tv? If so, change the last part of the gateway address from 254 to 1. Please let me know if your tv can connect after you do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok off to do it now be as quick as i can
Take as much time as you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh brilliant - took me a while and a bit of trial and error - there was a couple of other things that needed changing as well - it was set you manual and had some gaps - i amended the gateway and then changed to auto and it worked! thank you so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its only taken me a year!!!
YOU ARE QUITE WELCOME. I AM GLAD THAT I HAVE FACILITATED THE RESOLUTION OF YOUR PROBLEM. PLEASE BE SURE TO GIVE ME THE BEST RATING THAT YOU CAN, BASED UPON MY SERVICE. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.
Joel Kalman, Customer Service
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok no worries you can rely on me i will do it now - once again thank you :)
Thank you. You did a great job. You are a fantastic customer, and it has been my pleasure to work with you!!