p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

Please, How do I get the normal front panel info back from a

Customer Question

Please, How do I get the normal front panel info back from a reading of U81. Thank You.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, John.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this unit is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them, and the labor costs alone will exceed the value of the system.

In this case replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new DVR with updated features and a fresh warranty for half the cost you'd spend on repairs: http://amzn.to/2bDnDKV

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this, John?