p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

I have a panasonic viera tv when you switch on the red light

i have a panasonic viera tv when you switch on the red light appears but when you use the remote the red light flashes but doesnt turn green
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: TX-26LXD600 or TX-32LXD600 not sure which
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: about 8 years old
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: problem just occured now

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

So will the tv turn on and operate properly from its own onboard power button?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it clicks on but when you press tv/av on the remote it just flashes red instead of turning green

Okay and are you able to see the panasonic menus at all or hear any sound?

Or it just blinks?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, picture, no sound because the light wont turn green
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
red light just flashes instead of turning green
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello are you still there

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oh ok - sorry

No problem, just didn't want you to thing I was ignoring you.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well over double its designed service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thank you for your help

You are very welcome and best of luck to you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much - I did as you said and turned the power off, left it for over an hour and then followed steps 2, 3 and 4 and everything is working again! Thank you so much - my husband is very unwell and the TV is a lifeline for him. I knew I had to work all day tomorrow and was concerned he would be without the TV all day. Thank you so, so much for helping me to fix the problem.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that di the trick for you! Given the age though, don't be surprised if the problem comes back before long. It would be a good idea to start shopping, especially with black friday deals coming up, and plan on replacing it soon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok - yes I will do that - thank you!

You're very welcome, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!