Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

What is causing the tips of my fingers to split open and be

Customer Question

what is causing the tips of my fingers to split open and be very sore. They are not itchy but very red. could knitting be the cause
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 4 years ago.
Doctor Cameron : hello
Doctor Cameron : welcome
Doctor Cameron : Please enter the chat
Doctor Cameron : Do you wash your hands a lot?
JACUSTOMER-9u8dqnkz- :

no more than normal

JACUSTOMER-9u8dqnkz- :

No more than any one else. if this is what I have paid £28 for I think your service is very poor. Feel like I have been had

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know if you would like to continue or whether you would like to close your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not wish to continue with question as I can not find your answer anywhere and neither can any one else

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
This is a different expert.

The other expert had asked you a question in chat
Can you reply here, we are now in q and a.

Do you have any medical problems?

Any unusual exposure of the hands?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not wish to continue with this question . As far a I am concerned I have paid £28 to be asked if I wash my hands often. I think your company is a disgrace. For the money I have paid this is not a satisfactory answer

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
Again
This is a different expert
I am board certified in internal medicine as well as integrative medicine, including many aspects of hormones and environmental medicine, trained in functional medicine, and other advanced training...so I cover a lot of graound.

I think what happened is that the other post never got completed.

I will work with you until you are satisfied....if you like?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this going tocost another £28 . If it is just forget it. I am a pensioner and can not afford another £28 for nothing

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
No actually your deposit is not used until you do a positive rating.

Proceed?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I am sorry for the problems that you have been having, it seems like you just want an answer.

Split fingers are sometimes called chilblains. The splitting and redness is due to fungal overgrowth. You must first treat the fungal infection and then treat the splitting so that it will heal.

The fungal infection is treated with an over the counter cream, a good choice is Lotrimin. It is a product that is marketed for athletes foot. It will be effective for the type of problem that you have as well. You should apply it 3 times daily.

To heal the cracks, you can use a thick hand cream like Eucerin brand with Vaseline over it. It is very helpful to sleep with gloves on to keep the cream in place.

Also available at the pharmacy is a spray bandage used for wounds that can be used to seal the cuts over.

I hope this information is helpful to you.