Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

can EMS (electrical muscle stimulator) for the face cause fat

Customer Question

can EMS (electrical muscle stimulator) for the face cause fat astrophy?
I have been using the Rio facial ems device for a few months and i think
i may have cause fat astrophy especially near the eye area.
I have read that RF (radio frequency) can cause this to happen and also the
old thermage treatment could also cause this. so I was wondering could the EMS device
be strong enough to cause this side effects and what are the chances of it happening?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Id should not
Have you lost weight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

no I purchased the rio facial EMS so I only use it on my face. It says that

you can use this around the eye area and this is where i feel I may

have lost some fat but im not sure.

I was wondering would the electrical muscle stimulator be able to cause

fat astrophy like radio frequency can? will the electrical currents that pass through the skin to stimulate the muscles be able to have an affect on the tissues and fat? if not how come and what the differen between EMS and radio frequency that is used in thermage and other treatments that can cause fat astrophy?

What machine, what brand
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rio 60 second face lift facial toner. by Rio

In theory this should not cause fat atrophy
Has fat atrophy been confirmed by a doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i havent been to see a doctor. I just wanted to know if this could happen

why and if not why? I feel like i may have a little less fat on th left eye ans it

looks a bit different although this could be in my head. also after reading

that radio frequency could cause fat astrophy I thought maybe it could be

possible with the EMS because it uses electrical currents.

In fact is is unknown.

The device claim is that this is a medical standard for toning muscle.

It has not however been cleared by the FDA for such use.

There is no reason why this should to anything ad all, it is currently only, it should not be enough current to cause fat degeneration.

However, since it is not clinically tested to any degree, all side effects are not known or not even measured.

I would say your next step is to have a dermatologist examine your face...right now it does not see as if you have certain fat degeneration.

Toning the muscle could cause an appearance that is different as well.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.