DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

I have a large big red spot on my nose.

Customer Question

I have a large big red spot on my nose. I have tried salicylic acid treatment on it, clay masks and steaming...and in frustration tried to squeeze it, whihc only made it bleed. It's the second large spot like that on my nose in a month. I'm 30 and have polycystic ovaries. My skin can erupt when off trteatment but is usually clear when I combine the dianette contraceptive pill and duac skin gel. I also have a meticulous skin care regime and don't wear much make-up. I'm getting married in September. How can I get rid of this one and avoid others?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  DrHelen replied 4 years ago.

I hope I can help you today.

I can totally understand how upsetting this is for you, especially when you are getting married next month.

I note you have polycystic ovaries which does make you more prone to skin eruptions from the hormone inbalances it causes.

I have had a lot of success treating very angry, red spots with sudocrem. If you haven't heard of it it is an over-the-counter cream you can buy in any chemist. It is used a lot by mums for nappy rash but it is also very good at treating a whole variety of skin problems including spots and acne. It is more gentle than some of the over-the-counter acne treatments but can be very effective. Salicylic acid forms the basis of most spot treatments but I have found it can irritate the skin as well sometimes making the spot worse and the skin more red. (Sudocrem contains zinc oxide instead).

If you have noticed that your skin in general is erupting more at the moment it may be worth asking your GP about going on some antibiotics to help settle it. You can take a lower dose of various antibiotics to help keep spots and acne at bay.

You mention that you do not use much make-up. I have found that a lot of the liquid foundations can make skin conditions worse as they block the pores etc. I'm guessing you will be wanting to wear make-up for your wedding and it would be worth while looking at some of the powder mineral brands. Bare Minerals (I promise, I'm not a rep for them!) is very good. It covers the skin really well but also helps settle skin problems too. I always recommend it to people with skin problems. (They have their own website.)

Finally, although this is easier said than done in the run-up to your wedding, try to do the obvious basics....a healthy diet, plenty of sleep, drink lots of water etc. This does help the skin.

All the best for your wedding.