Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD
23744323

My Mother has a leg ulcer that his said to have been caused

My Mother has a leg ulcer that his said to have been caused by multiple drug eruptions from the Blood pressure and cardio medication she has been taking. Over the last 2 years the ulcers have steadily got worse - and the dermatologist at the hospital is in apparent disagreement with her GP and cardio consultant over the treatment of her ulcer since the suggested changes of medication that this would require to clear up the ulcer has negative side effects (serious blood pressure increase, heart palpitations). Since May she has been using a moisturiser prescribed by the hospital dermatologist (Doublebase gel, with a brief course of steroid cream for the ulcer), but the ulcers have not healed, and now her feet have become beset with hard scaly skin, and more recently, sharp pain in the soles of her feet together with intermittent cramps. She is also now having to care for her ulcers, or rather sore skin under these open ulcers which are now weeping. I have urged her to go to the Doctor but given the apparent impasse and negative side effects that medications have caused she is extremely reluctant to do this. Is there anything that I can do to try and find alternative treatments for her ulcer? She has had a biopsy of the ulcer but no actual assdessment of her veins/ arteries in the leg etc.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Sorry to hear about your mother's condition.

Mysticdoc :

Leg ulcer can be caused by the poor blood circulation.

Mysticdoc :

Hence this should be checked out by the vascular surgeon with doppler ultrasound.

Mysticdoc :

Ct angiogram is another good option to check for blood circulation.

Mysticdoc :

Non healing ulcer is due to the poor blood circulation in the wound.

Mysticdoc :

One good option to treat non healing ulcer is to consider hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Mysticdoc :

Wound vac is another good option.

Mysticdoc :

These options can be discussed with the vascular surgeon.

Mysticdoc :

Unna boot is a specialized dressing material containing zinc oxide, calamine and other materials which can also promote healing of the ulcer over time.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/