dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I’ve got a horsefly bite that’s gone a bit bad.

Customer Question

I’ve got a horsefly bite that’s gone a bit bad. It’s happened before. I remember that 500 mg of flucloxacillin 4 times a day for a fortnight did the trick, with dressing the site every 2-3 days. That being so I’d like simply to get some and not clutter up a surgery. Does this make sense and can you help?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have in fact been sufficiently concerned that I have seen my GP, since I know the infection can go into the tissue.

So, yes please, cancel my question: it really did need answering quite promptly. They’re nasty things, horse flies.

Thanks and best wishes,

Douglas

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for getting back to me and providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You can not get prescription medicines on line, and certainly not from a question and answer site.

In fact I would not use an oral antibiotic in this situation, but hot compresses and a cream called mupiricin, which is also prescription.

Is this what you are asking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have now given me an answer I did not ask for. And I am well aware of the law on antibiotics: I work in health policy.

I note the site promises a refund if I am not satisified.

I am not satisfied.

Please give me a refund.

Yours,

Douglas XXXXXX