DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I was wondering which of the many anti ageing ingredients

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering which of the many anti ageing ingredients promoted by skin care companies have demonstrated by peer reviewed studies that they are effective in preventing the appearance of wrinkles in a wide variety of skin types.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is it just wrinkle prevention you're interested in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anything that keeps my skin looking healthy and younger (so no not just wrinkle prevention) But those things you can do daily without surgery, invasive procedures, or a lot of intensive care routines. Really I was looking to know the active ingredients I should look for in creams and cleansers. I know that my boyfriend who is 34 an ex-smoker who is not too careful in the sun and has already started to get some wrinkles would also be interested to know the answer to this question

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Reviewed profile which shows dr does not specialise in dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine.
Integrative medicine evaluates the validity of claims as you mention.

Do you have a specific product or ingredient that you are interested in?

IN general the answer to the claims made is no, they are not substantiated......

Do you have a specific product?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, no specific product. However in the past I have heard of some research related claims to slow or reduce ageing in skin. Although I would expect most claims to be exaggerated, unsubstatiated or based on poor sample size it strikes me that some progress must have been made in this potentially massive money spinning area of research.What do we know that is proven so far?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
The ingredients that are strong antioxidants have some evidence.
The best known in creams being vitamin A, D and E.
A specifically heals damaged skin. The others promote this as well.

Specific mushrooms are now being used in some creams, such as reishi, and there is very preliminary evidence that these have anti aging effects.

Some plant substances, aloe as a specific example, have similar research evidence on healing and rejeuvenating skin.

I will be glad to to review any link you have to a specific product.

The answer however is that actual long term clinical evidence for any of this is not available.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any information on good places or journals to check what claims have been made and by whom? Outside of the natural world and the use of vitamins and antioxidants do any synthesised chemicals or extracts seem to produce any positive effects on the youthful appearance of skin? E.g.Maintaining elasticity, preventing wrinkles, keeping skin cells active etc

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hang on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! There seem to be some claims surrounding glycobiology, but this isn't a field I've heard much about before so I would suggest there are probably other more widely explored areas of study and common ingredients in anti ageing creams.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No nothing is more widely explored.
I will try to find a more definitive book you can read.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
This was a very specific question involving a lot of knowledge and although the expert tried to answer the question by researching it I could have done that myself. Suggesting I finish answering my questions on the subject by reading a book was not what I had in mind. I was hoping to speak to someone with first hand everyday familiarity with the knowledge base of this question.
Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 3 years ago.
I think that I may be able to help you.
The skin company which is one of the most popular and highly recommended by top dermatologists and plastic surgeons is the Obagi System.

In specific the NuDerm

This line really does work

http://obagi.com/

In fact, I use it myself and I look about 5-10 years younger.
It is excellent, the inital investment is a little pricey- about $250, but it will last you about 6 months or more.
It is about 5 creams a day used in am and the pm. The whole regimen takes 5 minutes each time.
And of course using plenty of sunscreen is critical. You need to reduce the amount of exposure you have to the sun, period.

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
More promotional than question answering Dr Natasha, but perhaps I will look into your product.

Are there any certified Dermatologists out there who are able to cite which active ingredients in creams designed to slow, prevent,or reduce all signs of aging in skin for males and females, have empirical evidence behind them (in the form of peer reviewed journal articles, with sound methods and good sample sizes) who can say what that evidence is and where it can be found?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
q and a requires a back and forth.
When you relist, you ignore that process and get new experts, and the other experts are not paid for their time.

What is your current question about this product?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a current question about this or any other product. Consequently I did not feel DoctorRich was answering my question.

Althpugh I value the time and knowledge used by experts to answer questions my understanding is I can only pay one expert? I feel the person I pay should be someone who has fully answered my questions.

If something is unclear in what I am asking or the way I am phrasing something I am more than happy to engage in a dialouge or question and answer process.

Have you been able to find out more information since we last spoke?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
First of all
I gave you quite a bit of information
This question sat in dermatology and no dermatologist took it.
It is outside the realm of convention, which is why I gave you some information on that.

What specific questions remain for you?