DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello,I have acute psoriasis all over my body. I stopped

Customer Question

I have acute psoriasis all over my body. I stopped using prescribed steroid oil as my skin became so thin tiny blood blisters would appear if I scratched my face in the night. Nothing seems to help i.e medicines or creams.
In desperation, with guidance I've resorted to coming off Lithium (it's reputed to aggravate psoriasis) I take for manic depression. Over the space of four months I will reduce from 900MG to 0 at 100MG a week.
I've suffered for two years now please help.
Regards,
Julie.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What is your question
Why would you come off lithium.
And what is replacing it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My psoriasis has become unbearable. I've had to put my job as an invigilator on hold, without the steroid treatment my skin is painful and non to pleasant to look at.

Nothing I have tried other than steroid creams has any effect.

I am covered patches of psoriasis from pin prick size to that sores covering my elbows, knees,backs of my legs and elsewhere.

Both my Doctor and Psychiatrist agree that Lithium can aggravate the psoriasis. It is not a decision we made lightly, I've been on it for years for manic depression, during which time I've experienced some years without and been fine.

We discussed a replacement - epileptic or schizophrenic therapy amongst others but decided while I have an observant network of friends around me only to happy to help should I lapse I would just reduce the Lithium from 900Mg a day by 100Mg a week. CAN YOU HELP?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The lithium must be replaced by an effective regiment. Regardless.

The psoriasis must be treat systemically, rather than just with creams, a rheumatologist and/or dermatologist should be involved.

It sounds more like the psoriasis has never been adequately treated.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Thomas,

the lithium is not the issue.

Please explain what you mean by systematically and with what

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
For example a systemic steroid taper.
Or an immune modulating medication.

See this write up by the Mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/psoriasis/DS00193/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have you in the reply box but no post