Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi,For the last 3-4 months I have had small spot like bumps

Customer Question

For the last 3-4 months I have had small spot like bumps arising around my pubic area and also the base of my penis. The spots generally stay for around 1-2 months and disappear, but more will come in another nearby area. The last week or so, it looks as though I now have 2 small ones on the inside of my leg, near to the worst affected area. At the moment I have 6 spots in total.

The generally look like normal spots, although instead of having just a regular "whitehead" the larger ones seem to be double-headed so to speak.

I have sent photos to another online dermatologist who seemed to think it was just a case of foliculitus, however they have not disappeared yet so I don't believe it is that. Having searched online, the closest thing I have found that sounds a bit like it is Molluscum contagiasm, however the pictures I have found of this don't look too similar.

In terms of background I am sexually active and in my 20's, so suspected it may have been an STI, but again I've not found anything that looks/sounds like what I have. Whilst I am from the UK, I now live in a hot and humid/tropical environment and am involved in a lot of sport which obviously leads to a lot of sweating.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Can you attach a picture of these spots/bumps?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having trouble attaching the photo......has it worked this time?

No, it did not come across.
Are you using the icon on the tool bar that looks like a paper clip?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, I'm clicking on that, then the icon next to "Image URL" entry bar. Then it gives me the option of uploading an image, but after I've chosen the image and select "OK", nothing happens - the OK button is not clicking.

Any ideas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

image deleted

Now it came through.

This image is suggestive of Molluscum contagiosum. A few of these lesions appears to be developing a central dimple or umbilication, which is frequently present with Molluscum contagiosum. Some people with Molluscum contagiosum can develop some inflammation surrounding the lesions.

Any bump on the penis could be HPV, but by the image, these appear to more likely be Molluscum contagiosum.

Molluscum contagiosum will frequently resolve spontaneously. When the lesions are persistent, then specific treatment, such as by freezing, would be a common option.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the info. Based on what I've read it seems this would take around 12-18 months to subside if I'm not mistaken. Do you have any recommendations as to how I can maybe speed up this process? In my current location I don't think I have access to freezing but should be able to get any creams/antibiotics or whatnot.

Thanks again.

The length of time will vary. Most lesions will resolve within a few months, but there may be multiple generations of lesions.

The over the counter medicine that may be used would be salicylic acid, which is available as various topical preparations (liquid, cream, or gel). Many of these are marketed for wart removal, but can also be used for Molluscum contagiosum. There also is an over the counter freezing method also marketed for warts. This is not as effective as the freezing that can be done by your physician, but is available over the counter.