Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am hoping you can help me as I have a very bad nail problem

Customer Question

I am hoping you can help me as I have a very bad nail problem and I am desperate. I decided to start wearing false acrylic nails some time ago to cover up my embarrassing nail biting habit. I got very dependant on these nails and could not go out without them and wore them all the time. I now have hardly any nails left where they became so soft underneath that they could just be peeled away - on occasions some nails went green but lightened again when the nails came off. I am now left with an even more embarrassing problem as I have hardly any nails left and the last remnant of my nail is uneven, rough and disfigured. I am so embarrassed that I do not even want to go out or see my GP. I am in a vicious circle as I have to cover my nails again with acrylic ones just to face the world. What can I do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you have to stop using these acrylic nails.

these adhesives are eating away at your normal nails.

you have to eat clear gelatin which contains high amounts of protein and collagen protein which will help your nails heal.

eating egg whites daily will help give you more protein as well.

you have to be patient and your natural nails will slowly grow out in a few weeks.

and you need to stop biting your nails

in the winter time you can wear gloves to cover your nails until they naturally grow in.

does this make sense?

let me know if you have questions.