dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

how can I reduce brown age spots on my face. I am 54, and

Customer Question

how can I reduce brown age spots on my face.
I am 54, and these brown patches are increasing on my face.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question.

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph? So I can be sure of my diagnosis?

dermdoc19 :

To do so click on the paper clip icon and upload.

JACUSTOMER-461psfcp- :

Thank you for your reply

JACUSTOMER-461psfcp- :

Thank you for your reply. I am unable to take a photo of my face to show you in the detail you need.

JACUSTOMER-461psfcp- :

If that is what is required, I will have to fix up so see someone instead , please could you reimburse my money, Thank you

JACUSTOMER-461psfcp- :

Please could you refund my money ? Tina Manders

dermdoc19 :

After answering your question, you just need not ACCEPT the reply and you will not be charged. I am happy to answer your question without a photograph, since most of this advice will hold for any pigmentary problem of the skin. I will be sure to mention times when it does not I am going to assume that lentigines ( liver spots) are causing your pigmentary problems. These are also called solar lentigines, since they are caused by the sun. The most important thing, which can not be over-emphasized is to avoid sun damage to the area. No matter what other treatments are employed, they go for naught if you do not do this. I would recommend a sunscreen that protects in the Ultraviolet A and B ranges. Aveeno Positively Radiant with SPF 30 is my favorite for this purpose, as not only does it protect but the soy in it helps decrease the brown spots. My advice would be to buy a couple to place in car, home ( in bathroom vanity) and where you work . This way you will be sure to apply them.

dermdoc19 :

At night, I would apply NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening Gel.

dermdoc19 :

I am not sure if this is available in the UK, it contains 2% Hydroquinone, which gives it over the counter status in the United States, but Hydroquinone is a questionable ingredient in Europe. If this is not available,

dermdoc19 :

find something with kojic acid. TYK White Glow Retino, Kojic, Mag C Absolute Skin Brightener or Meladerm would be good products in that case.

dermdoc19 :

Intense pulsed light in the green range will take out the brown spots quite well. I would recommend doing this in the Winter as the physician ( or nurse) can turn up the fluence ( power), giving you a better result.

dermdoc19 :

Usually two treatments are needed.

dermdoc19 :

This is a very good treatment since it also would rid you of red spots besides the brown discoloration.

JACUSTOMER-461psfcp- :

dermdoc19 : You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions.