dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

i have seen products including salicylic, lactic, kojic, glycolic

Customer Question

i have seen products including salicylic, lactic, kojic, glycolic and many other acids and creams..
which acid or which products can i use to get rid of kp?
i also have hyperpigmentation so would prefer a product which may also help correct this.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your questions regarding Keratosis Pilaris.

dermdoc19 :

I would recommend a combination treatment of a Retinoid at night such as Tazorac or Retin A and Lac-Hydrin 12 or AmLActin cream in the morning.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

can you recommend a product which is available in the uk?

dermdoc19 :

Regarding Tazorac at night. I would begin with Tazorac cream 0.05 along with Cerave Renewing Cream. The latter, not only is a very good moisturizer, but contains Salicyclic acid. As you may have read, Sal acid is effective for KP, so not only are you getting a moisturizer but one that will give a little additional punch. Use Tazorac for two weeks very other night and then go to nightly. Then increase the strength to the Tazorac cream 0.1.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

i have been using salicylic acid body washes and lotions which have helped soften my skin but does not minimise the bumps much.

dermdoc19 :

I am quite sure Tazorac is available there, but if not Retin A should work just as well ( Tretinoin). I am not as sure regarding Cerave, but any good moisturizer can be used. As far as Lac-Hydrin. I think that is available.

dermdoc19 :

The Retinoid should work better in minimizing the bumps so I would add that. Plus they help rid the skin of pigmentation.

dermdoc19 :

Pumpkin peels help get rid of bumps. Sal acid, which is a Beta Hydroxy acid is more effective than glycolic acid, although the latter is better for pigmentation problems.

dermdoc19 :

If any of these cause irritation, a low potency, over the counter topical corticosteroid such as Cortizone 10 helps.

dermdoc19 :

I have seen good results with Bionect too, but I am not sure whether this is available in the UK.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

i should have also mentioned that i had dark asian skin, will these products be suitable for me

dermdoc19 :

Bionect contains Hyaluronic acid.

dermdoc19 :

Yes, as long as you are careful to prevent irritation. That is why I would start the Retinoid slowly.

dermdoc19 :

Work your way up.

dermdoc19 :

If you have used Lactic acid in the past, the 12% strength is more effective than what you have probably been using. In the US, Lac-Hydrin 12% is a prescription product while Lac-Hydrin 5 is OTC. However, AmLactin which is 12% is over the counter.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

ive never used lactic acid, only sal

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

what is bionect

dermdoc19 :

That is a hyaluronic acid product that is micronized...which means hyaluonic acid is broken into tiny pieces to allow better penetration. Hyaluronic acid is part of the dermis.

dermdoc19 :

Eucerin Intensive Plus Intensive Repair Body creme is also good. However, I like the Cerave product better since it not only contains Sal Acid but Cermides that help repair the skin barrier.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

seeing as most of the products you are recommending are not available to me in the UK, i'd much rather you told me what ingredients and strengths I can look out for in OTC products, what they will do for me and how to use them.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

eg. my salicylic acid 2% wash that softens the skin

dermdoc19 :

Tretinoin cream 0.05

dermdoc19 :

Tazarotene cream 0.05

dermdoc19 :

Lactic Acid 12%

dermdoc19 :

Hyaluronic Acid

dermdoc19 :

The Eucerin product should be easily found since it is an international company ased in Germany.

dermdoc19 :

based in Germany.

dermdoc19 :

Sal Acid washes are not that helpful since they are only on the skin for brief periods of time.

dermdoc19 :

Orally, Vitamin A supplementation 2500-5000 I.U. a day and Vitamin D3 2000 I.U. will help if you are not taking those.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

is Retinaldehyde the same as retin a?>

dermdoc19 :

Somewhat similar. Retin A is the acid form of Vitamin A and Retinaldehyde is the aldehyde form. The aldehyde has to b transformed into the acid form to penetrate the skin so it does not work as well, but tends to be milder. Roc ( a French company) makes Retinol which is a better form. There is some debate about Retinaldehyde causing skin cancer, so it is not used as much in the last few years.

JACUSTOMER-u0qflfom- :

thank. sorry but it is just so hard to find products with these ingredients as most have been discontinued or banned over here even on prescription. i may have a few more questions for u

dermdoc19 :

Feel free to ask them, though I have to leave soon.