Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

patches on skin...burn and sting

Customer Question

Hello I am really worried as in the 7 weeks I've been getting severe dry skin on my face. Its very flaky and itchy no matter how much I moisturise my skin with absorb it in minutes. My neck is also severely itchy, jawline and certain parts of my forehead and they sting and I dont understand why and my skin also tends to get very warm and starts to burn even if I dont scratch. Im not eating anything different or applying anything other than e45 on my neck. My gp are terrible, I had a full blood test which didn't show that I was suffering from allergies but my face swelled up twice a few weeks ago. I also experience red scaley skin and patches on my neck and again today but I hadnt eaten anything nor applied anything on my skin...it just happens . My diet hasnt changed nor have my products.i havnt used facial creams or makeup for a week yet the symptoms still continue. Please help as my neck suddenly went realy red today at 3am and it had red dry patches. I have tried the steroid cream and shower demol cream prescribed  by my gp nothing works. My skin is still very sensitive. 

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--could you post a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cant post a picture it im not able to attach it its not clear. Also the redness has calmed down today it was severe yesterday and probably will get bad worse in a few days

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Shafaq has a dermatologist looked at this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No...my doctors just gave ne creams they didnt even examine or observe nor did they refer me. I visited them on 3 occasions. Im only sleepy 2 or 3 hours a day because of the burning sensation on the neck. It basically looks quite red and when I touch itbthe texture is a little scaly but I have not scratched.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No...my doctors just gave ne creams they didnt even examine or observe nor did they refer me. I visited them on 3 occasions. Im only sleepy 2 or 3 hours a day because of the burning sensation on the neck. It basically looks quite red and when I touch itbthe texture is a little scaly but I have not scratched. It like im having a chemical feel every few days with a new layer of skin on my face that's sore but a burning neck

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--I understand and I can give you my thoughts on this but you have to understand that I'll have to end with saying that you need to see a dermatologist about this. Will that be OK with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the information you provide me with will just me an assumption

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, even with a photo since I can't examine you myself I can't give you a 100% correct diagnosis but I do have an idea of what's going on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's fine

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
We can continue after this but this is one of two things. Either rosacea--a variant of the usual acne that people have--or it's an autoimmune disorder like discoid lupus erythematosis. For rosacea a long term (several weeks) course of an antibiotic like doxycycline is effective. For lupus it would take oral prednisone or a biologic like Humira. A dermatologist would be the appropriate specialist to deal with this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Can I ask why the poor rating--I did say we could continue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your response is more related to American medicine rhe diagnosis Humira is not used in the UK. You have provided two possibilities which has confused me even more

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but stay with me please--how can I clear up your confusion and there are biologics like Humira in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have doubled checked it with a doctor and he has confirmed that this is not the case and to much specifics without diagnosis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I didn't quite understand what you were saying there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked a UK doctor and he advised me that wedont use Humira in the UK. Sorry about before I just panicked and im really scared that I will be diagnosed with something serious. I did have a full blood test 2 weeks ago...would lupus autoimmune disorder have been picked up if did have it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, here's a link about Humira in the UK

http://www.bad.org.uk/site/1232/Default.aspx

But I only mentioned Humira as one biologic and there are others. And no need to apologize--I only want to help you here. No, it's unlikely that you had an autoimmune panel--sed rate, ANA antibody titer, rheumatoid factor titer, and C reactive Protein in the blood work but you'll have to check on that. Let me ask this --was rosacea or a skin infection ever considered by your doctors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure as when I went to see my gp I told him my skin kept feeling really dry and peeling. ..I was told a full blood test was needed to check allergies. And the results came back showing I had slightly high cholesterol and no allergies were picked up

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well allergy blood tests wouldn't cover lupus. And I was obligated to tell you my differential diagnosis for what's going on and I think it's more likely that this is rosacea rather than lupus. While I think you should see a dermatologist you might ask your GP whether this might be an infection and if so if he would try a course of antibiotics since if those clear this up no need to worry about lupus. I'm going to post this as an answer but just like before if you want to continue I'll be more than happy to do so. I would ask, though, that you reconsider the poor service rating and rate this answer positively
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am very grateful for your response and I would like to thank you again for the thorough detail in your answers.

Also thank you for being so understanding. When I visit this site again I would most definitely like to speak to you again and no other expert.

Thank you Dr Chip

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Entirely my pleasure and just use the link above my photo to get me again. Let me know how it goes and remember the rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I will most definitely let you know how it goes. God bless you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Same to you