dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi , I have been be going to claudialouch clinic for a year

Customer Question

Hi , I have been be going to claudialouch clinic for a year , for rosacea treatment ,I'm pleased with it so far , are there many other treatments out there . Chris age 63
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question regarding rosacea treatment. If you can provide a photograph, that would be very helpful in my effort to assist you. Thank you.

Customer: That was a silly 28£.
Customer: £28 for that reply ! Excellent
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry. I have not been able to locate a photograph. If you tell me how it was sent I can track it down. If you would rather me just expound on various treatments of Rosacea, I would be happy to do so.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
You are correct there are a number of treatments for Rosacea.
I will concentrate on a generalized treatment scheme. However, usually we group Rosacea into two main types: erythemotelangiectatic and papular-pustular. One does not exclude the other.
Papular-pustular Rosacea tends to be found in males, and is marked by red bumps and pus pimples on the inner cheeks, chin and forehead. It can look a lot like acne but does not have blackheads and whiteheads ( open and closed comedones). It is best treated with an oral antibiotic. Doxycycline is the drug of choice. Some dermatologists begin with a standard acne type dose of 100 mg. twice a day and then work down to Oracea 40 mg. a day or Periostat 20 mg. twice a day. Others begin with Oracea or Periostat and keep the dosage for years. The advantage of the low, dose, so called non anti-microbial dosage is that they do not kill bacteria and act as a strong anti-inflammatory agent. Oracea or Periostat also has the advantage as it may be anti-aging and cardio-protective ( heart attack rate goes down while on this). Another useful drug is NicAzel. I am not sure if this is found in the UK. This contains a form of Azelaic acid, zinc, copper and Vitamin B6. These have been shown to be affective in treating Rosacea.
Topically, Finacea gel is very good. Metrogel, Metrocream or Noritate are also good. These are all topical versions of Metronidazole. Sometimes, Finacea can be used in the morning and Metrogel at night. Or Finacea can be used twice a day.
An alternative topical treatment would be Avar Green. This is a sulfur/sulfa combination treatment. The gree color can masquerade any redness. Also, if there is any degree of scaling from a condition called seborrheic dermatitis, this will then do double-duty.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Washing the face is very important. It has been found that patients with Rosacea have an impaired skin barrier. This can be restored with a good face wash. I would recommend Cerave Cleanser as this has ceramides in it. Cetaphil Restoraderm is an equally efficacious product.
Also, if any of the above mentioned topicals cause redness or irritation Cerave PM is excellent. It has Niacinomide which helps with the redness of Rosacea.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Now the erythmo-telengictatic rosacea is treated somewhat differently. This is the rosacea that is marked by redness and "broken" blood vessels. A big breakthrough in this treatment was the recent introduction of Mirvaso. This is a gel that closes down the blood vessels and takes away the redness. It works very rapidly, in about 15 minutes, and will take away the redness for about 8 hours. It does not treat Rosacea, but definitely helps with the symptom of redness. It seems to work well even after a years use. This means that it continues to work and there is no body adapting to it.
Finacea hel, also seems to help with the redness as does Cerave PM. They have put some Niacinamide into Metrgel 1%, so that helps too with the redness.
Finally, any discussion of the treatment of Rosacea would be remiss if the use of IPL ( Intense Pulsed LIght) was not included. This helps the overall redness of Rosacea. If you have this done, it is best to schedule during the Winter months. Background pigment will mean that the physician is not able to give you the optimal power ( fluence) for fear of disrupting the pigment in your skin. Obviously there is more pigment when the sun is in full swing. A V Beam laser can be used to rid you of the small blood vessels ( teleangiectasias). Electrocautery can also do this....the use of a fine electric needle.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Finally, as you probably were told at the Claudia Louch clinic, it is important to avoid the trigger factors which set Rosacea off. Certain foods such as hot and spicy foods, the sun, cold wind, stress all act as trigger factors.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
I would also like to add that if you develop the Phymatous sort of Rosacea, which would include the red and potentially bulbous nose ( of a W.C. Fields, or J.P. Morgan), Accutane is a good remedy to consider. If you have any ocular symptoms such as a red eyes, tearing or a gritty sensation of the eyes, it would be important to seek treatment ( usually Doxycycline or Tetracycline).

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Of course, you can still send a picture. I find pictures very helpful to individualize treatment.

I would appreciate it if you could at least change the rating you gave me to an OK Service. You only pay if you ACCEPT the answer. A Poor Rating may mislead potential patients into thinking I gave a poor answer, when in actuality, I received the Poor Rating before I had even attempted an answer.
Also, I feel that the CHAT aspect is a wonderful mechanism for a give and take....the opportunity to ask as many questions of a boarded physician as you want. The Poor Service rating switches this into a Q & A format and takes away that opportunity.
Anyway, feel free to get back to me with any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

www.rosaceagroup.org › Forum › General › Prescription medications
28 Nov 2011 - 10 posts - ‎8 authors
Before committing yourselves to a life of anti-biotics, accutane, beta-blockers etc., I recommend seeing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear sir /madam, thank you for your interesting reply .i expected the impossible to quick ! My condition is mild in comparative to some you out lined . I will continue with Claudia Louch clinic . Sorry for a misunder standing . I have only used the internet for 2 weeks !!! Best wishes Chris
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
I might add, that Finacea gel is a very natural product since it is derived from a yeast found on our skin.
I would be happy to answer further questions,if or when they arise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stop sending me email. You money grasping yank
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
This might possibly be from the company that runs the site...not me. I have nothing to do with it at all. I will contact Customer Support for you and I suggest you do the same. I know unwanted e mails can be a pain, so I understand.