dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi. Im a 25 year old male and Ive suffered with cystic acne

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a 25 year old male and I've suffered with cystic acne for many years. I've tried taking medications in the past but none of them really worked for me (my dermatologist was reluctant to give me accurate due to my history of depression and suicidal thoughts). I'm from the UK and have ordered a product from the USA by the name of "Clearzine", having been impressed by the reviews on Amazon. Before taking the capsules, I would like some information on the ingredients. This is what is listed on the bottle:

Amount per serving %daily value
Vitamin B5 (calcium pantothenate) 500mg. 10000%
Biotin (d-biotin). 25mcg. 83%
Chromium (as chromium amino acid chelate). 10mcg. 29%
Selenium (as selenium dioxide). 10mcg. 18%
Zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate). 10mcg. 92%
Co-Q10. 25mg *
Witch Hazel (leaf). 20mg. *
Collagen (hydrolysate). 20mg. *
*daily value not established

Other ingredients: (capsule) Gelatin, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Stearate

My sister is a nurse and knows a bit about medicine and she thinks the ingredients are safe. The bottle recommends users to take 4-6 pills a day until acne clears and then 1-3 capsules to maintain skin. I've heard that megadoses of vitamin b5 can cause hair loss. Is this true? If so, would I be ok to take 4-6 capsules per day, or is that too much? What are the chances of getting hair loss or serious side effects from the ingredients listed? Thanks a lot for your help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question.

dermdoc19 :

As regard to the Vitamin B5, this is not a particularly high dose. I see no harm at all in this dosage. The dosage is Ok but I would not go over 6 pills a day. Vitamin B5 is water soluble and is hard to over dose on that. Of the ingredients listed, Zinc would be the one that would have the most positive things behind it in the literature. I am not sure why they do put collagen in the product since it is a protein and would be broken down by your stomach enzymes.
I would look into photodynamic therapy if you and your dermatologist are afraid of potential problems with Accutane. I have also found Zithromax, 250 mg. five days running and then off 10 days to be at least as helpful as the Tetrqacycoine drugs.

Customer: Thanks for your help. I suffer with OCD a lot and I notice that my acne gets a lot worse when I feel anxious or stressed. Is there a link between stress, anxiety and the development of cysts and more severe acne? If so, if my mental state improves, is it likely that my skin could get better on its own in time? I have no other health problems that I'm aware of. I have large cysts on my earlobe and jaw that have been present for several years and they are quite big - will I have to have them surgically removed? Thanks.
dermdoc19 :

The cysts should be injected with cortisone. This will prevent scarring and a needless surgical repair.

dermdoc19 :

There is a link with acne and stress. Increased hormonal output from stress, flaring up acne. Also, more picking at the acne can lead to stress. Just yesterday, I put a patient on an anti-anxiety pill ( though I actually rarely do this).

Customer: Is it possible then that my skin will improve if my general well being improves? Can cystic acne go on its own or will it definitely need to be treated? If I get better in the future, I will consider having surgery to remove the scars. I get numerous blackheads and have to remove them with a steel removal tool - I assume the blackheads are linked to the acne in general?
dermdoc19 :

It does eventually go away on its own but the goal is to prevent scarring before it does so. Blackheqads are the feature we go by to make the diagnosis of acne ( on manhy occasionas). I would recommend a Retinoid to sue to prevent tht. Besdies the prescriptions ones such as Differin, Tazorqac, and Retin A there are some over the counter ones such as Neutragena's and Roc's that contian Retinol which is not as strong but is mild.

dermdoc19 :

Also, products containing Salicylic Acid ( Sal-Ac) or Cerave Renewel Cream have Salicyclic acid.

Customer: My final question: How many of the clear zine capsules do you think I should take? Would 2 a day be sufficient or will I need to take 5-6 and then reduce intake if I see some improvement. How long should I take the capsules for if there is no improvement? If there is an improvement, will I need to take them indefinitely or should I stop taking them after a certain period of time?
dermdoc19 :

I would not take over 50 g. a day, you can take this for two weeks and then drop down to 25 mg. a day. I would take the dose they recommend for maintenance if they are working. Generally, I give up after two months....but many of my patients ( unfortunately, give up before then)

Customer: Thanks for your responses. You've been very helpful.
dermdoc19 :

You are very welcome. Good luck.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology