dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Which injections for whitening the skin really work?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

There is some decent evidence that Glutathione injections work in lightening the skin. There was an article last year, that the oral form caused skin ligthening. This was done in a decent study. The safety of Glutathione is no known, however, as there are no long term safety studies that I know of. Glutathione occurs naturally in the human body. Glutathione injections have become very popular in some Asian countries, especially the Philippines.

dermdoc19 :

I attended a meeting recently and a dermatologist from the Philippines assured me that it did work for moderate skin lightening in her patients.

dermdoc19 :

Hope that helps and I would be happy to answer further questions.

Customer:

Hi there,

Customer:

Thank you for your reply. Where can you buy the Glutathione injections in the UK? Are there any tablets that would be as efficient?

dermdoc19 :

Glutathione pills are quiteeaily found in most natural health centers and perhaps, pharmacies (chemists), but I do not know about injections. If you do decide to opt for injections make sure you go to a reputable and licensed physician. The safety of the injections has not been established.

Customer:

How about ordering the injections from the philippines?

dermdoc19 :

I am sorry, I would really not know. My gut, not speaking as a physician, would tell me to be leery, especially anything to be injected into your body.

Customer:

I am wondering.....How did XXXXX XXXXX get to whiten his whole body and face when he was born as a black person? Surely, there must be safe ways of lightening the skin by reducing excess melanin permanently. As a dermatologist, how would you address hyperpigmentaion? What product would you recommend to use that would bring good results?

dermdoc19 :

Actually, XXXXX XXXXX developed vitiligo, a loss pigment. He had developed such extensive loss of pigment that his dermatologist and him decided to remove the remaining pigment with a chemical called Benoquin He then would apply a product called Vitadye to his skin. He actually had no pigment at all after the Benoquin treatment. Like most US dermatologists I prescribe Hydroquinoneto lighten areas.

Customer:

One last question - I found out that mequinol 10% can be used as a skin lightener or for hyperpigmentation as benoquin should only be used for vitiligo. Do I need to add tretinoin to it or can I use mequinol on its own?

dermdoc19 :

Mequinol can be used on its own.

dermdoc19 :

It was not a big seller here in the States, and the company which was making it discontinued it. I personally thought it was a pretty good product.

dermdoc19 :

Hope that helps.

Customer:

Yes, that's great.

Customer:

Thanks for your input.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology