dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

i am a 51 year old woman who has had chicken pox. my grandson

i am a 51 year old woman who has had chicken pox. my grandson has it now and i think i have shingles. i have a painful rash on both hands, which is spreading. pustules form, which are very itchy and painful.my hands also, recently, get very dry in places. also, they have a tingling sensation. is this right and what should i do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Is it possible to forward a photograph?

Customer:

dont know how, sorry

dermdoc19 :

Is the rash limited to the hands? Any rash on the feet?

dermdoc19 :

fv2222XSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWW23X

dermdoc19 :

Sorry that was my cat.

Customer:

no.fingers are worst. backs of hands now have pin sized red spots.skin is starting to peel on fingers and look wrinkly and dry. itches like crazy

dermdoc19 :

Do you have small water bumps, that itch like crazy?

Customer:

yes. they burst then become very painful

dermdoc19 :

This sounds to be more like a dyshidrotic eczema. It would be unusual for shingles to affect both hands. This is caused by irritation of the hands, which traps sweat. The trapped sweat itches and burns and upon being released causes a rash. The in office treatment wouold be a low dose of cortisone and a mid potency steroid cream. Over the counter you can try DomeBoro soaks or compresses. One packed to DomeBoro in a quart of luke warm water. Compress or soak for 10 minutes twice a day. Pat dry and put on HYdrocortisone ointment under saran wrap. Do this twice a day. Eucerin Professional Hand Repair cream is very good when not using this. Also Benedryl 25 mg. at night and Allegra 180 mg. during the day.We really do not know what sets this off, but usually some sort of irritation to the hand. If things become desperate a shot of cortisone will relieve things quickly.

dermdoc19 :

The other possible diagnosis is Localized Pustular Psoriasis ( Psoriasis of Barber). Sometimes, it is difficult for us to tell the difference. Treatment is somewhat the same but nearly always requires a stroger steroid and sometimes the use of amedication such as Methotrexate.

Customer:

thankyou for your advice i will go to my chemist and show him this, so he can get me organised

dermdoc19 :

Great. PLease let me know what happens.

dermdoc19 :

You are welcome.