Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I have zooms balantisis.iv had steroid creams which have

Customer Question

Hi I have zooms balantisis.iv had steroid creams which have not been much help.i have had this condition for about 5 years and it is getting worse.can you help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Which steroid cream have you been using?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

The usual treatment for Zoon's balanitis is a low to moderate potency steroid cream. I asked which steroid cream has been prescribed because if it is a low potency steroid cream, it would be reasonable to change to a moderate potency steroid cream.

Another option would be to add an anti-fungal cream. In some men, they will respond better to an anti-fungal cream added to the steroid cream.

If these treatments are ineffective, the next step to consider would be a calcineurin inhibitor, such as tacrolimus. These medicines suppress the immune system causing the inflammatory response in the skin.

The other option would be to consider a procedure to treat the problem, either by circumcision to remove the foreskin or laser to remove the upper layers of skin that is involved by the inflammation.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.