dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hello my name is Orhan I have a hair loss in my beard.

Hello my name is Orhan

I have a hair loss in my beard. one is a coin size getting bigger another is like half coin. now I am having more loss on my another side and and under my chin with many dots like losses I don't know what to do? could you help me please?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Is it possible to forward a photograph?

dermdoc19 :

I will attempt to answer your question without a photograph. Please realize that if I receive a photograph, I might alter my diagnosis and treatment plan.

dermdoc19 :

This sounds to me like alopecia areata. This can affect the beard area without affecting the scalp. This is caused when the lymphocytes in the skin begin to attack the hair follicle. The lymphocytes release chemicals called cytokines. The cytokines basically paralyze the hair follicles. Fortunately, the cytokines do not kill the hair follicle so the hair (usually) eventually returns. We do not know why the lymphocytes do this, although studies indicate that this is genetic, though there may not be a family history.

dermdoc19 :

Alopecia areata is what is considered an auto-immune disease, like pernicious anemia, addison's disease, lupus, diabetes, so your physician should be on the look out for other auto-immune disease. However, the vast majority of patients with alopecia areata do NOT have other conditions.

dermdoc19 :

The most successful treatment is injections of cortisone into the circles. Topical corticosteroid creams and Protopic ointment or Elidel cream can also be used either by themselves if you are afraid of needles, or in conjunction with injections.

dermdoc19 :

When the hair comes back, it may come back white. The pigment producing cells in the hair follicle take awhile to become activated so the hair will eventual return to its normal color.

dermdoc19 :

I hope that helps and as I said, I would be happy to look at a photograph or too.

dermdoc19 :

Feel free to get back to me with other questions.

JACUSTOMER-m79yptzd- :

thanks for your advice the another problem is it grooving and spreading to other part of the face is there anything I can stop that ? please also see attached pictures!!!

JACUSTOMER-m79yptzd- :

JACUSTOMER-m79yptzd- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the pictures. I am pretty sure that this is alopecia areata. Did the physician who prescribed an anti-fugnal cream do this on the basis of a positive lab test or his/her clinical impression?

JACUSTOMER-m79yptzd- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-m79yptzd- :

I cant not send the pictures despite I have tried many time. web site doesn't accept them

dermdoc19 :

I did receive the pictures. Thank you. Were you able to read my comments?

dermdoc19 :

I think they are all the same diagnosis. Alopecia Areata.

dermdoc19 :

If there was a positive fungal culture, then I am wrong and it is a fungus. A fungus would also be a possibility, but that can be easily tested for.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
If the picture you are trying to send is different, I would [email protected] This can be sent from a hand held device.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
I am curious. Did you give me a Bad Service rating? It did not show up here but the site monitor informed me of such. If you did,I am Curious, why, since I am fairly certain, I have steered you to the correct diagnosis. Also, have you been attempting to send the photos again, they do not appear to have shown up on the site or in my E mail.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Orhan
I will going to a Dermatology meeting tomorrow night. If you would like me to show your picture to a few of my colleagues, please let me know. IL never did receive your last picture and I have checked my e mail pretty well.
Just let me know about my offer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry doctor for the misunderstanding I mistakenly press the poor service button. Excellent service thank you very much.

I have seen the gp two days ago, he is also sure about alopecia areata he prescribed SYNALAR JEL. base on your experience; do you think that will be helpful?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Good. It sounds like you are on the right track now. Synalar is a good treatment. However, I have found injections of cortisone to be more effective for this.
Also, Rogaine, will help hasten the response.
Let me know if I can be of further help, and I would REALLY appreciate it if you could change the rating.