dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Is there any link between seborrhoeic dematitis and arthri

Is there any link between seborrhoeic dematitis and arthritis?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your interesting question.

dermdoc19 :

However, I am a bit confused since surgery would not be a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis.

dermdoc19 :

Kindly explain.

dermdoc19 :

Which areas of your face are involved?

dermdoc19 :

There is not link between seborrheic dermatitis and arthritis except that lupus should be in the differential diagnosis when considering seborrheic dermatitis. However, seborrheic dermatitis, is known to be improved by the sun and lupus is obviously made worse.

dermdoc19 :

I will embellish after learning a bit more of your history. Thank you.

Customer:

The area removed from my face (lower cheek) looked like a greasy wart which had recurred 4 times over 20 years, each time faster than the previous time and on a larger area. I had cryotherapy on 3 occasions then the GP said it should be removed by a plastic surgeon, and it has not returned again.

Customer:

The area operated on was the size of a 10p piece.I do not fully understand the term lupus, perhaps you will explain it to me.

dermdoc19 :

OK. Understood.

dermdoc19 :

The lesion removed I am assuming was benign. It was most likely a seborrheic keratosis. These are not related to seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis causes redness and scaling in the area between the eyebrows, sides of the nose, behind the ears and dandruff of the scalp. Most authorities feel it is due to a proliferation or a response to a yeast like organism. It is usually treated with a weak steroid.

dermdoc19 :

Lupus is a condition in which the cells of the body attack the skin and joints. It tends not to scale. As I mentioned above, it is made worse by sunlight while seborrheic dermatitis is improved by sunlight. I mentioned lupus since it attacks the joints and can cause arthritis.

dermdoc19 :

Seborrheic dermatitis is very common and lupus somewhat uncommon.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer further questions.

Customer:

Ah. Thank you for your reply. I think the lesion was a seborrheic keratosis and it was benign. But I also have seborrheic dermatitis in exactly the areas you list, although it is usually reasonably mild. When my scalp is very bad I use Betacap Scalp Application containing 0.1% betamethasone valerate. My arthritis is worse in the damp winter months.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the additional information. In your case, as in general, I do not feel there is a relationship between arthritis and seborrheic dermatitis.