Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi I was wondering if you could help me ?? I was diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering if you could help me ?? I was diagnosed as having Scabies at the beggining of Febuary and advised to use premethrin. I used this this and due to paronia I treated my self 3 times… over 3 weeks on every 7th day…I followed all instructions ie all items washed at high temptretures my partner was treated at the same time on all 3 occasions. However I still after 7 weeks of treatment completed have very itchy testicles and the nodules on my testicles have barly reduced in size. My GP advised to rub on Hydrocortizone cream 1% and I am still very very itchy. My partner seems to be ok. Do you think I could still have scabies or could this just be the aftermath of having this terrible infection. I have tried to book a dermotoligist but cannot seem to find anyone available in my area ( Manchester ) can you please help me ??
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you could have a fungal and bacterial infeciton in the testicular area.

fungal infections are very common in the scrotal area where there is moisture and warm and darkness where fungal infections like to grow.

if you are scratching there alot, you could have developed a bacterial infection as well from scratching.

you would not have any more scabies after 3 cycles of premethrin.

I would go back to your primary care doctor who you can see sooner about a systemic antifungal treatment like fluconizole (diflucan) or topical nystatin powder to help dry the area

and you might also benefit from an antibiotic as well if you have broken skin there in the scrotum

there shouldn't be nodules in the scrotum. this could be due to blocked skin pores or infected skin from bacterial or fungal causes.

hydrocortisone only help decrease mild inflammation, it does not treat fungal or bacterial infections.

do you have a lot of moisture in your groin area?