dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have been suffering, I think, with folliculitis since the

Customer Question

I have been suffering, I think, with folliculitis since the new year. It was only on my buttocks, back and legs, but about a month ago it got much worse and has also attacked my face, neck and scalp. I have been given three different antibiotics, none of which have helped, and end up making things much worse. I am at my wits end, because of the discomfort, and appearance, especially on my face. I am covered in flaming red large pus spots all over my face, neck, back, arms, legs and buttocks. My skin often feels like bumpy soft leather and my face is also very greasy. (I'll reiterate that I am at my wits end, i'm 47, about to start dating again, and a new job. I however have been suffering much stress due to the breakup of my marriage, and the acrimonious divorce I am now having to go through). The infection is also affecting my nails. They are very soft, like rubber, weak and falling off in layers. I have been researching folliculitis and think that, as the antibiotics haven't worked, it could be a fungal infection. Last week I had an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics(penicillan) and the nurse who saw me listened to my chest twice, and said she could hear crackles. Please could I have your opinion, and what you suggest as treatment. My skin often feels very hot, especially my face (which I want to cover with a paper bag every time I go out.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any chance of your posting a photo on this page?