DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I previously had oily but young looking skin but 3 months

Customer Question

Hi I previously had oily but young looking skin but 3 months after having a baby my skin dried out and appears old looking. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with breast feeding my baby. It's now 6 months since I had him, and my skin isn't improving. The GP gave me emollient cream but it doesn't help. Is there anything I can do? Is it worth seeing a dermatologist, or am I likely stuck with old skin now?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is worth seeing a dermatologist but I would think this is
either
a. a thyroid problem
b. a nutritional problem.

Your doctor should be able to run the following blood tests
Routine labs
TSH and T4
Iron studies and ferritin
B vitamin and folate levels.

I would suggest that first.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].