dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

can you help ? all my life i have suffered with very sweaty

can you help ?
all my life i have suffered with very sweaty hands it has held me back in all walks of life
is there any thing i can do or buy to ease this [FOR ME ] a great draw back
would like to hear from you
joan
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. This a very common condition called palmar hyperhidrosis. Your physician should check you for hyperthyroidism as this is one of the earliest symptoms. There are medications that will help such as the cholinergic inhibitors. Pro-Banthine is one and is a very safe drug. Topical treatment with a prescription strength antiperspirant such as Dry-Sol is also very effective. If these fail, there is a unit called a Fisher Galvanic Iontophoresis unit which helps significantly. General Medical makes a similar, cheaper, though less effective unit which will draw out the sweat. Botox can be injected into the palms, and control sweating for 6-9 months. Although not approved by the FDA for this use, the MiraDry machine uses sound waves to destroy the sweat apparatus and works for years.

dermdoc19 :

So there are numerous options.

dermdoc19 :

I hope that helps and please feel free to get back to me with any questions.