dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

my husband has been told he has psoriasis on his knees. However

my husband has been told he has psoriasis on his knees. However he is using polytar and moisturising and the plaque does not come off. It is really thick now. It is white and looks moist. Could it be another skin condition?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Isit possible to forward a photograph

Customer:

Sorry . No. He works away. He came home at the weekend and i noticed the plaque is very thick. It is white and there is reddening at the edges. I wondered if his treatment was appropriate.

dermdoc19 :

Probably too weak. Would recommend a strong steroid such as Clobetesol twice a day and Salicylic acid cream 6 % ( to thin the patch). This does sound like psoriasis. If you cannot have Clobetesol phoned in try using Hydrocortisone ointment 1% and use a saran wrap patch over it.

dermdoc19 :

Sunlight will help as will Vitamin D3 2000 I.U. and Omega three fatty acids 1000 mg. twice a day.

dermdoc19 :

In an office setting, I like to inject these plaques with cortisone.

Customer:

That is really helpful thank you. What is a Saran wrap? Can I buy these products without prescription?

dermdoc19 :

Hydrocortisone ointment ( get the ointment version as it is stronger) 1% and Salicylic acid cream are over the counter. Saran Wrap is a name brand plastic used to keep food fresh.

Customer:

Thank you. I shall try these.

dermdoc19 :

In Britain, it would be called plastic wrap.

dermdoc19 :

Very welcome.