dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Red itchy patch on groin

Customer Question

I've had a red itchy patch on my scrotum since Monday and general less severe itching in the groin folds. I bought some clotrimazole cream and it helped a little initially but it's still pretty itchy after a few days use. I have some photos I can upload.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Yhank you for the question and pictures.

dermdoc19 :

This is most likely an contact irritant dermatitis. The goal is to prevent this from becoming lichen simplex which is much more difficult to treat as the skin thickens up.

Customer:

Thanks. How do I do that please?

dermdoc19 :

I would avoid clothing colored purple or blue. Avoid fabric softener and bleach and switch to a hyp-allergenic detergent such as All Free & Clear. Add Hydrocortisone to the Clotrimazole. A fungus would be very unusual but yeast can be seen in this area. Be careful not to scratch. If the area itching a cool rag or white men's handerkerchief soaked in cool water ( and wrung out) is much more helpful. At night take a Benedryl 25 mg. Before exercise apply Zeasorb powder and do the same after showering. Be sure your wife or girl friend does not have a yeast infection and obviously if they do, they should have this treated.

dermdoc19 :

That should help. Please feel free to ask further questions.

dermdoc19 :

Be sure when you shower that you rinse off this area well.

Customer:

Should I use hydrocortisone at the same time or is there a cream with that and clotrimazole?

dermdoc19 :

I am not sure whether there is a combination cream like that over the counter. Lotrisone cream is like that in the United States, but that is a prescription product. You should use the combination: Clotrimazole and Hydrocortisone at the same time.

dermdoc19 :

In my office I would test for Candida and if not present would only use the Hydrocortisone

Customer:

Thank you. I'm curious as to why you said to try to avoid purple and blue clothing. Could you explain

dermdoc19 :

Some people are allergic to the dye. In fact, the new patch test kits in which we test allergies now contains that as one of the test agents.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for your help. Just one last question please. I scratched the area raw this morning which is shown in the last picture. Should I wait before applying any more cream?

dermdoc19 :

No, it would be Ok to apply the Hydrocortisone cream to it, although I like Eucerin Aquaphor Healing ointment for this more.

Customer:

Thanks again for your advice.

dermdoc19 :

Very welcome.

Customer:

I'm ready to give you an excellent rating now.

dermdoc19 :

Greaat. I appreciate it.

Customer:

It keeps saying you're not finished when I click the excellent button!

dermdoc19 :

I am actually finished unless you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor,

I followed your advice and applied a combination cream containing hydrocortisone and clotrimazole. I did this twice a day for 3 weeks and the itching etc disappeared.

Since I stopped using it, it has returned. Is it safe to apply this cream for a longer period?