dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi, I am seeking some dermatology opinions/information please.

Customer Question

Hi, I am seeking some dermatology opinions/information please. I would like to know how certain biological processes related to my skin are working.

To explain, my acne started ever after I drank wine for the first time in 2002. I drank too much but immediately after that I developed acne for the first time. I then noticed that foods in my diet – adding water, removing milk and recently discovered fermented foods is a major problem (with chemical yeasts like bread, beer). I see that wine is a fermented product.

I started taking various antibiotics (doxycycline and minocycline and possibly lymecycline) but it always returned. I think the acne became more complex at one point since I would also get a certain kind of acne around menstruation. I maybe spent about 2-3 years on antibiotics between 2005 – 2011. I once had been taking doxycycline for a while but got a worse outbreak so took flucoxicillin, which was effective. The acne has always come back after again though.

I travelled in 2011 and had been taking doxycycline for malaria (and skin) for a while. I took about 6 month’s supply over about a year. However I stopped taking it about two years ago.

I began doxycycline again in November 2014 although I started taking it intermittently. I have been a vegetarian for about ten years although due to the food results I’ve been noticing I recently decided to change my whole diet. I more or less stopped all problematic foods (wheat, soya). I had changed my diet for about a month so expected my skin would not have any more reactions from food. However one night (about a month ago) it was very hot and the next day my skin had completely broken out. It has never been even close to this bad since the acne first began.

I started taking clindamycin HCL 150 mg twice a day (for some weeks), which led to an improvement.

I am concerned now however that when I stop taking the clindamycin I may have an even worse reaction because of the mechanisms of the antibiotics and seeming resistance.

My questions are:

1) Do you know why the acne got worse recently? How this antibiotic process might have worked?
2) How it should be treated?/how antibiotic processes can be restored?
3) Do you know how the fermented foods are causing acne? My acne has got worse after eating fermented products on a number of occasions and I’ve observed this over about 10 years.
4) And perhaps any alternative/herbal/medical/suggested remedies (for the antibiotic/fermented foods process) you may have heard of?

With thanks,

Lucy
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Lucy,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
1. No acne is complex
You are on the wrong antibiotic
Who prescribed this?