Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Is there any effective treatment or remedy for shaving rash

Customer Question

Is there any effective treatment or remedy for shaving rash on the neck?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the rash and it's appearance? Have you seen a doctor about it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't seen a doctor about it because I don't feel it's significant enough, but it's irritating nevertheless.

It isn't a single large rash confined to one specific area, but various patches of small red marks/spots continue to appear across the neck, occasionally with yellow heads, although those don't stay for too long. Itching is noticeable but minimal.

I'd imagine it's nothing too far out of the ordinary, but after reading about it I've not been able to ascertain whether there's an established, effective treatment or remedy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--I assume you don't use an electric razor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not anymore. I started wet shaving a few months ago and that's when the problems seemed to start.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well the best thing to do is to go back to the electric razor since your problem is folliculitis--infection of the hair follicles from the razor. In lieu of that I suggest you start before the shave with an astringent that would be a mix of witch hazel and apple cider vinegar and then after the shave apply calendula cream. These are all over the counter products and the combination will likely stop your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've tried reverting to the electric razor but the reaction seems to be the same. Would I have to wait until the rashes have disappeared before trying this again?

Also, what is likely to be causing the infection of the follicles? I always use a clean razor and an adequate amount of shaving gel. Is it likely to be a problem with my skin?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You probably just have the kind of tough beard that lends itself to this problem. You can start my suggestion right away--no need to wait. I'd also suggest that you cleanse your face with an antibacterial scrub like Betadine three times a week to lessen the bacteria on your skin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Would using Betadine in addition to other facial scrubs limit its effectiveness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--that can be used in addition and it won't in any way lessen the effectiveness of the shaving preps I suggested. Give it all a try and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thanks for your time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure--any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it OK if I ask a couple more questions?

If so, firstly, does shaving directly over the spots prolong their presence and will it make a considerable difference if I avoid doing so?

Secondly, I typically start to feel minor irritation on my neck 24-36 hours after shaving, this is when the spots usually become more visible. Will the calendula cream prevent this? If not is there anything I can apply during this period that will prevent such a reaction?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi again--yes, when you have the spots avoiding shaving right over them is essential. The calendula cream should preven the irritation feeling you get after shaving. You could also combine it with some benadryl lotion
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long do the spots need to be left alone for until they disappear? Is there any safe way of shaving over them?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No safe way to shave over them and if left alone they should disappear within two days
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've regularly left them alone for 4/5 days without them fading too much..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well sometimes it can take that long but with the combination treatment I suggested they shouldn't last that long
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your time again, hopefully I won't need to ask you anything else. I'll let you know how it goes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Always my pleasure but please consider an additional rating for the extra time I've spent with you