dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Ive been suffering with urticaria for over a year now and

Customer Question

I've been suffering with urticaria for over a year now and it's just getting worse. I've restricted my diet to exclude preservatives, I take a combination of drugs every day that aren't helping, and I am going mad with the itching/pain. What else can I do/take?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

If you have been totally evaluated and your physicians have been unable to come up with a cause, you most likely have what is called Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria. There is a new drug for this called Xolair ( Omalizumab). This is a drug given in a physician's office. It is subcutaneous.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

That's what my diagnosis is. What does that drug do? Are there any interactions?

dermdoc19 :

There are reports of anaphalyxis with this drug, however. However, one of my good friends, an allergist, has had great success with it.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

I am on sertraline for depression and know quite a few meds can have interactions with that. Will they be ok?

dermdoc19 :

It is generally used for asthma but has been studied for Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and found to work. It works by decreasing IgE.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

Also, do you know any short term fixes for just now as I am having a massive flare up and bleeding from the scratching

dermdoc19 :

Probably one that you have used before: pulse dose of cortisone. Sometimes, Colchicine works too.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

Does xolair have any interactions with sertraline?

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

I don't think I can get them at the supermarket though

dermdoc19 :

No interactions that I am aware of.

dermdoc19 :

No, this drug is only given in a physician's office and the physician has to be able to treat anaphylaxis.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

It's one of the drugs on my list to ask at my gp surgery tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what they say

dermdoc19 :

It is given in 1 or more injections under the skin, one tme every two or 4our weeks.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

The information I previously found on that drug said a dose for CIU was 300mg every 4 weeks

dermdoc19 :

It was relatively recently approvewd by the FDA to treat CIU. Yes, that is the dose....`150 mg. in two different sites.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

Are there any home remedies that would work just now?

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

Wait... am I speaking to a US dermatologist? I thought this was a UK site? Will this information be useful?

dermdoc19 :

I would try using antihistamines that you might not have used. Assuming you have used Claritin, Benedryl, etc., you might try one of the others.. Of course, Tagamet too.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

I have tried every over the counter antihistamine as well as most prescription ones

dermdoc19 :

I am not sure...I believe Xolair is available in Europe. I am a US dermatologist. I would be happy to OPT OUT and allow some of the UK dermatologists to help you,.

dermdoc19 :

I figured you had tried them all.

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

That would be preferable as I don't want to get information then find out it is related to treatments not available in the UK

dermdoc19 :

Sure. I would be happy to do so. Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-90xvrvh6- :

dermdoc19 :

I know there are at least two excellent UK based dermatologists on the site.

dermdoc19 :

Just to let you know. Presently, I am the only dermatologist available but they should be hopping aboard later.