dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a small patcy of itchy, flaking skin on my eyelid.

I have a small patcy of itchy, flaking skin on my eyelid. I have self treated for many years but nothing seems to work long term. The only thing that calms it down is HC45 cream but I have been told by a pharacist that this shouldn't be used on the eyes.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question.

dermdoc19 :

Is it possible to forward a photograph? If you would like me to answer your question without one, please let me know.

Customer:

I would like an answer without a photo please. It looks like a reddish area just above my eylid, which, if left becomes very flaky. It feels itchy most of the time then when I scratch it it becomes sore and the skin is sometimes cracked. It's very annoying!

dermdoc19 :

If this is long standing, it is most like a chronic allergic contact dermatitis. This is due to an exposure, either something you are applying to the skin or nails or occupational. Certainly, a little hydrocortisone to th eyelid is not harmful and I would suggest an ointment. However, this is not a long term solution so one must find the cause. The best method is patch testing. Most dermatologists do this in their offices ( a few allergists are starting to do this also). Strips which have chemicals impregnanted in them are applied to the back and checked 48 and 96 hours later to see if there are any positives. Those positives are then avoided.

dermdoc19 :

You can alternatively, try avoiding all products such as nail polish, moisturizers etc. When the rash clears up you can add each one three days apart to see which breaks you out. You can also try a use test. In which you put the product in the crook of your arm.

dermdoc19 :

for two days to determine if there is a reqaction.

dermdoc19 :

More to follow. I have to run.

Customer:

Thank you for this. I never use anything around my eyes. I don't use make up and never put nail polish on my fingers, so am struggling to think what the allegen can be, although I do accept that it must be some sort of allergy. Is there anything I could apply to the area other than HC45, which I have actually used for years. Hence my concern over its use.

dermdoc19 :

Hi again,

dermdoc19 :

I would recommend Eucerin Aquaphor Healing ointment. If you do use a Hydrocortisone product, be sure to use the ointment type as I mentioned. It has much fewer ingredients since it is oil based and does not require preservatives as the creams do ( bacteria like water and not oil).

Customer: