dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have what i think are bites on my buttocks They are raised

I have what i think are bites on my buttocks
They are raised and feel sore they do not itch and they seem to be spreading
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Is it possible to forward a photograph of the rash? You can do so by clicking on the paper clip icon and uploading. This does not work with Google Chrome or Safari. You can also use a photosharing site such as Picasa or Photobucket.

dermdoc19 :

If you would like me to attempt an answer without a picture, please let me know.

Customer: Sorry but i am unable to supply a picture
Customer: please would you try to answer without one
dermdoc19 :

I would like to ask a few questions. Are these bumps pus filled or just red? Are they grouped or scattered? How long have you had them? Do you have any medical problems?

Customer: They start off red bumps then after a few days they develope a head and burst with yellow/white puss then scab over and don't heal. They are single random lumps and i have had them for a few months. I have typr 2 diabetes and suffer from asthma
dermdoc19 :

This is most likely a superficial folliculitis. The most common cause is this is staph. The area becomes moist from sitting and then develops minor infections in the hair follicles. ( The entire body has hair follicles except the lips and palms and soles, and eyes). The fact that you have Type 2 diabetes predisposes you to this problem.

dermdoc19 :

Also, if you are given steroids for asthma, this would predispose you to this.

dermdoc19 :

My suggestion would be to cleanse the area with either HIbiclens Wash 4% ( rinse well, since if some remains on the skin it can be irritating) or Benzoyl Peroxide 10%. Then apply Bacitracin to the each bump. I would also perform a bleach bath twice a week.

dermdoc19 :

Bleach baths are done by putting 1/2 cup of bleach in the bath for the last five minutes of the bath. Again, rinse off well.

dermdoc19 :

If this does not work you may need an oral antibiotic such as a 10 day course of Cefdinir ( Omnicef) 300 mg. twice a day.

dermdoc19 :

The other possibility is Candida. Diabetics and asthma patients are susceptible to this too. Generally, Diflucan is used 150 mg. twice a week for a month. You can try Micostatin which is over the counter. Use this twice a day. However, I would try the above measures for a superficial folliculitis first.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer further questions if you have any.

Customer: Thank you for your advice, would i be able to buy what you suggested over the counter or do i need a prescription
dermdoc19 :

You are welcome. The Hibiclens, Oxy 10 Wash, Bacitracin, and of course, bleach are all over the counter. Omnicef is a prescription product. Micostatin or Clotrimazole are over the counter. Diflucan is a prescription product.

Customer: Thank you
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology